ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake locked on!

I know, I know ive already got a thread about this but ive just tried to budge it and my car just will not move, ive had the rear wheel off and been hitting it with a hammer to try and free it. is there anything else i can do please!

i vow never to buy a renault again, or leave my handbrake on

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Drums on the rear? Proberbly friction material fallen off the shoe and jammed the rear wheel up... nice in these temps!

Firstly, have you tried rotating it anti-clockwise to attempt to free it off? Secondly, you have you removed the 28mm nut hidden behind the centre cap right? (Silly question but you wouldn't believe how many people don't know its there and it ain't gonna budge if you haven't!). Finally, you're sure the cable mech has released?

Mick

Secondly, you have you removed the 28mm nut hidden behind the centre cap right? (Silly question but you wouldn't believe how many people don't know its there and it ain't gonna budge if you haven't!).Mick

what does this nut do, as i havent undone anything? bascially i drove it home one night left it with the handrbrake for a few days and now it wont move, surely i shouldnt have to do undone a bolt of somekind?

172 cup
is the cable 100% slackening off when the hand brake is released? Start there then, follow to the next working part to solve problem. Logical

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
This has happened to a few car's some friends and family have owned after sitting a while, shocking the drums and rocking the car worked. Probably not the best nor safest way to do it but it gets the job done.

Jap Box
Mine did this the other day, just revved it up in 1st till it popped itself free. Did take some effort though!

because the shoes fail and lock onto the drum, rocking it usually releases them.

if the shoes fail that means they are fubked and need replacing. you mean they are seized? and rocking the car in gear isn't going to do a fat lot unless you are the hulk lol. put it in reverse then in 1st and so on and they should give. had a similar problem years back and it was down to the adjusters inside the hub.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if the shoes fail that means they are fubked and need replacing. you mean they are seized? and rocking the car in gear isn't going to do a fat lot unless you are the hulk lol. put it in reverse then in 1st and so on and they should give. had a similar problem years back and it was down to the adjusters inside the hub.

well surely by saying rock the car IN GEAR he means using the engine to move it, in gear and not stand like a fud trying to push the car back and forward?!?! if this was the case what would it being in gear have to do with the rear wheels.

and obviously if they fail your going to replace them but if they are jammed your not going to get the rear drum off without freeing them are you...

and obviously if they fail your going to replace them but if they are jammed your not going to get the rear drum off without freeing them are you...

if they had failed you will be able to get the drum off a lot easier than when they are jammed theres ways to do everything no such thing as can't. lol:rasp:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
so its faled and jammed in such a way that the engine doesnt have enough torque to rotate the rear wheels but your going to get the rear drum off by hand? lol

so its faled and jammed in such a way that the engine doesnt have enough torque to rotate the rear wheels but your going to get the rear drum off by hand? lol

i never said by hand i used one othese when mine got stuck
if that don't work it has to be heated up which is a last resort!!
drum_puller.jpg
drum_puller2.jpg

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
We had a nissan sunny back in the day and it sat for a year, surprised it started 1st time but it wouldn't move, took some mighty wallops (full on barrel denting swings) to get it to break it's grip. My friends after a week away locked the rear's, few taps and 1st gear and away he went.

Oh the sunny was scrapped too... good riddance :D

CBR1K, F21 125D
well surely by saying rock the car IN GEAR he means using the engine to move it, in gear and not stand like a fud trying to push the car back and forward?!?! if this was the case what would it being in gear have to do with the rear wheels.

How big is your forehead?!

Obviously meant as in, engage clutch and throttle to ROCK, not to use your hands.
Its simple, then once free - replace worn parts and grease. As its usually water ingress or f**ked shoes/pads..

</f**kwit>