ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hard braking throws out of gear

My 172 kicks out of gear when braking very hard. Happens across all gears, very violent and noisy on second gear though.
The gear stick shakes violently when it happens. Changed dogbone to powerflex, no difference.
Hard to believe all 5 gears have bad syncrhos ! Also I don't think that would cause the gearstick to shake like that.
What mount could it be, and should I be able to see it's bad if it's condition is this bad ?

Could this be either lower and upper gearbox mounts ? the engine mount is good. I need to figure out which mount it is, can't go wrong as they cost a lot where I live.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Must surely be a mount issue. If they're not knackered, Try loosening the mounting bolts and pushing the engine towards the firewall before re-tightening.

Video of engine movement , holding the gas steady and playing with the clutch: https://vid.me/VEg3
This is what the top gearbox mount looks like
20150414_191923.jpg

Dogbone is a new powerflex, 0 movement in gearstick when flooring it in any gear.
Top engine mount looks ok, last owner says it's 1 year old, maybe you can tell me it's condition from the movement in the video. I don't get any knocking when flooring it in first btw.
Aside from throwing out of gear violently when braking hard, there is some movement noise when I start moving and sometimes first gear is very hard to get in. Also pressing\lifting the throttle fast hits the car too hard I believe.

What do you think ?

Last edited:
Reverse is exactly when the shifter goes as left as possible, so it fifth. Does this rule out any relation to gear linkage ?
Also is there an easy way to inspect the lower gearbox mount ?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Reverse is exactly when the shifter goes as left as possible, so it fifth. Does this rule out any relation to gear linkage ?
Also is there an easy way to inspect the lower gearbox mount ?

Eyes, lever bar... The engine should move, but not easily...

Id have ordered a full set of mounts and been done with it.. I wouldn't even look, I try to find any excuse to replace old worn rubber parts