ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have I broken my car? Changing steering wheel, now car lacks power, in all gears

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Yes agree, I'm just wondering if he can turn the stability off and have the thing drive normally again which might confirm the steering angle theory rather than turn lights off etc.

Or do you think having lights on will stop the stability from being turned off?

I would lean towards not being able to be turned off but Its just a guess. If the angle sensor was intact but not centered I don't think it would do what op says its doing.

I remember not running an angle sensor years ago and had to buy a replacement, didnt restrict the revs.. But maybe it was just broken but still plugged in... Too long ago now!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I would lean towards not being able to be turned off but Its just a guess. If the angle sensor was intact but not centered I don't think it would do what op says its doing.

I remember not running an angle sensor years ago and had to buy a replacement, didnt restrict the revs.. But maybe it was just broken but still plugged in... Too long ago now!
I think if they go open circuit or the reading is miles out it flags an error and ignores the sensor. But if the value is plausible just off a little I think it can do all kinds of weird things from trying to enable traction control to pulsing ABS on various corners tyring to correct for something that isn't actually happening.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think if they go open circuit or the reading is miles out it flags an error and ignores the sensor. But if the value is plausible just off a little I think it can do all kinds of weird things from trying to enable traction control to pulsing ABS on various corners tyring to correct for something that isn't actually happening.
For example on my E46, the Bosch stability control will try to correct for understeer and oversteer. Its takes the steering angle, wheel speed and yaw an inputs.

If wheel speeds and yaw say the car is going straight, but the steering angle says car should be going slightly right it thinks the car is understeering. To combat that it brakes the inside front wheel to try and turn the car - probably does rear wheel stuff too, can't remember. But probably brakes inside front and rear. After a while of trying and not achieving anything it calls on the TC which they describe as being separate systems although they aren't totally - either way the TC cuts engine torque.

OP says loud clunk from rear, won't rev above 3k. All he has changed is the steering wheel which is not off centre. I recon its off centre pointing slightly left and its using the rear brake to try and correct for this imaginary understeer condition, failing to do so and then cutting torque.

understeer.jpg

Is my working theory - but also. One change made now having issues strongly suggests its to do with wheel change. Not 100%, it is a Renault so could have something else wrong too 😂

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Should be called steering wheel angle sensor. My e90 would flash tc/stability going in a straight line over bumps. Needs to be read off a linear potentiometer connected to the rack to be precise.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just a headsup for when you get back and get the diagnostic machine on it, you can clear steering angle sensor faults but make sure they don't come back next time you turn the ignition off and on again. I had a steering angle sensor related ABS issue and managed to borrow a code reader to reset the fault everytime I turned the car on. Wasn't particularly practical but made the brakes work properly.
Otherwise you end up thinking "Great its fixed" and then next time you get in the car a week later, "Oh no its back".

Clio 182 Cup
Just a headsup for when you get back and get the diagnostic machine on it, you can clear steering angle sensor faults but make sure they don't come back next time you turn the ignition off and on again. I had a steering angle sensor related ABS issue and managed to borrow a code reader to reset the fault everytime I turned the car on. Wasn't particularly practical but made the brakes work properly.
Otherwise you end up thinking "Great its fixed" and then next time you get in the car a week later, "Oh no its back".
Ok thanks - I have a few things to try by the look of it - I’ll report back asap ! Bloody nightmare this - can’t believe it’s so complex

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Normally its not this bad, but I think the issues have been caused with the breakages.

Clio 182 Cup
update:

steering wheel is fixed - actually the squib was fine, and i refitted it, the clock spring thing, not fine, and had shorted, and melted slightly so unplugged it, and all now seems ok with steering

the lack of power in all gears after 2.5k rpm is also now ok, i removed MAP sensor cleaned and refitted and all seems to be fine and engine strong

strange clunking sounds from back / left under the car still happens - usually in low gears, is this exhaust / gap in pipes / fuel detonating in pipes??? it doesn't affect power if driving, but is odd and very loud 'clunk' sounds on occasion

:)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
strange clunking sounds from back / left under the car still happens - usually in low gears, is this exhaust / gap in pipes / fuel detonating in pipes??? it doesn't affect power if driving, but is odd and very loud 'clunk' sounds on occasion
How old is your dog bone mount? If that's worn then the exhaust will knock on the subframe.

You could try loosening off the top engine mount and pulling the engine as far forward as possible and retightening. That may help