ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HD Streaming over Gig Lan

LY 182
Hello,

I know there are some IT gurus here so I thought I'd try my luck.

I've got a HTPC and a server both with Windows 7 on a Gigabit Lan. On the server I store all my HD films (BD 1080p rips). If I were to transfer the files from one to the other I get transfer speeds of around 82MB/s which I think is very good.

Now when I play the files (stream) on the HTPC pulling from the server, they do play but sometimes the maybe slow to start, blocky for the first 5 - 10 secs and when a scence that zooms out and show a lot of scenery it slows as if it is too graphic intensive. The latter can't be the case, as the file works fine locally.

Obviously there is something to do with streaming over lan but as I am getting 82MB/s transfer I would have thought this would not have been a problem.

Do think that streaming needs to be optimised, if so how? Any other ideas?

Cheers!

A money pit
The network will handle full hd fine. If the file plays fine when playing locally then you probably need to adjust the buffering settings for streaming.

LY 182
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon 4850
Nvidia Gigabit NIC

The PC plays the files fine when playing locally.

LY 182
The network will handle full hd fine. If the file plays fine when playing locally then you probably need to adjust the buffering settings for streaming.

See, this would make sense, where would I do this?

197 F1 R27
What application are you streaming to on the client end? I have two Vista machines I build on a 100Mbps LAN and streaming HD is rock solid in VMC and MP11. Maybe worth starting with an extended ping using a 1492 MTU whilst the delays are happening. Checking round trip time at this failure moment will be useful. Also which O/S are you using as Vista has some issues with sharing and will only work properly if setup in a certain way.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
thats odd. i have asimilar setup windows 7 ==> vista MCE stream mkvs 1080p 13gig+ all the time no problems

hmm are you using windows sharing methods? thats what i do...maybe try a link between both machines just over a lan cable (static ip's) see if that ssovles it? might indicate a problem with the switch itself.