ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

head gaket, under warranty?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I discovered today, that much dreaded mayo substance under my oil cap today and my coolant had risen and changed colour slightly.

The car is only an clio campus sport 07 and covered just over 14000 miles. It had an oil/oil filter change at 12000 miles. The car is still under the manufactures warranty and it hasn't been driven hard.
I have made a few mods to it such as lowering, and after market back box but i couldn't imagine these effecting anything in that region.

The car is still driving and there is no smoke or signs of over heating. I popped in to renault earlier today but no one was around apart from the sales team. But the receptionist did speak of it being rare on a new car, but couldn't anwer any questions about warranty issue etc.

Has anyone had any experience of this before or been in the same situation i.e. claiming the repair on warranty?

thanks matt.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Does it do lots of short trips? Also go out and give it some beans.

Dunno if it's the same on your engine, but on the older clio's because of the cold conditions, short trips they did and general piss poor workmanship, they were prone to a mayo like substance under the cap but didn't relate to the headgasket goping.

Head gasket Shouldn't go on a car that's only done 14,000 miles NO matter how hard you drive it.
Thats bad. Renault will try every thing to get out of it tho.

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
The only thing against you is the mods you mentioned... Any modification is enough to void the waranty but alot of garages are lenient and will do the job/s under warranty. Especially if services have been done there etc.

Weird to have HGF on a 14k car though

Da

Less
What makes you believe the HG has failed?

Mayo is very common due to the stop/start journeys and is not really anything to worry about.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I don't do the longest of trips i must add, but its not the greatest sign finding that. I know they aint the greatest of engines at all but i am shocked that its actully a problem after 14000. Is there a reason to the coolant level rising?

Da

Less
Coolant level will rise and fall I would have thought, if the HG had failed then coolant level would drop surely?

I would more expect to see the headgasket to go if the water level was Low and the engines got hot.
other then the engine getting to hot i wouldn't see another reason for a 14,000 engine to blow its head gasket.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
In theory you would expect the coolant to drop if it was a problem, The tempreature doesn't go above it usual. you guy are more than likley talking sense, but i think it will be reassuring to get it checked out. :s

In theory you would expect the coolant to drop if it was a problem, The tempreature doesn't go above it usual. you guy are more than likley talking sense, but i think it will be reassuring to get it checked out. :s

Take it to a garage get it pressure checked they will properly not charge you more then £20.
Then another £600 when they do the job lol..

I'm guessing there isn't much may-o in the oil cap or you would of heard of seen things going wrong. Clean the cap off and check it again in a day or two.

Da

Less
Well from personal experience HGF results in;

1. Loss of power
  2. Coolant level drop
  3. Oil level drops
  4. Oily residue from exhaust/smoking

I believe you are worrying about nothing but as you say always best to get it checked out. :)

www.renparts.co.uk
as said the change in colour of the coolant isn't a good sign, a manufacturing defect may have caused it, its important to consider the amount of mayo on the oil cap as a small amount is normal and especially common on the D4f if you are making short journeys and these cold conditions do encourage condensation.

Well from personal experience HGF results in;
  1. Loss of power
  2. Coolant level drop
  3. Oil level drops
I believe you are worrying about nothing but as you say always best to get it checked out. :)

It also depends where the Head gasket breaks..

Can break mixing oil and water.. But could also break just entering water (on some engines) in the pistons so white smoke / water will come out exhaust

But like 'Da' says

da said:
  1. Loss of power
  2. Coolant level drop
  3. Oil level drops
  5. More then normal Water coming out exhaust.
By the sounds of this thread. I wouldn't say it was head gasket. I would expect your water level to go down even a little bit. if not that then your oil level.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I havn't noticed water coming out of the exhaust, only small amount of smoke when it its cold on a morning when i start it and drive it untill it gets warm which is condensation i belive ?. The oil is still clean and at a good level.

I havn't noticed water coming out of the exhaust, only small amount of smoke when it its cold on a morning when i start it and drive it untill it gets warm which is condensation i belive ?. The oil is still clean and at a good level.

Lol think my post made it worst. Only matters about water in exhaust if your coolant levels go down

M

mini-valver

I wouldn't be worried mate, clean the cap and give the car a good long drive and rev it. Do that for a week or so and check it again, keep an eye on your coolant though, only check it when the car is cold.

I wouldn't be worried mate, clean the cap and give the car a good long drive and rev it. Do that for a week or so and check it again, keep an eye on your coolant though, only check it when the car is cold.

I got told you should only check it when hot :S And have to take it off simultaneous with the oil cap

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Yea sorry about that, not to sure if i can change it. got a screwed up 's' key and many others due to a spillage.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
cheers for the response guys, i shall go get it checked over tommrow. I might be worrying about something for no reason as some of you have said, but better to be safe than sorry. :) cheers matt

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
no not the expansion tank cap. The Place where you fill the water up cap.
thats is the epansion tank . it has a bar or 2 or pressurised near boiling water in there . you can get severe burns from taking one of on a hot car . you would be ok on the oil cap but do not touch expansion tank untill at has cooled down alot

thats is the epansion tank . it has a bar or 2 or pressurised near boiling water in there . you can get severe burns from taking one of on a hot car . you would be ok on the oil cap but do not touch expansion tank untill at has cooled down alot

Nope your incorrect hot water doesn't burn you. It's cold water you should look out for. In the water system of a car its different.

I can't I'm wrong I'm well stupid i want to be a mechanic when I'm older and work on cars. but I don't no as much as i thought :( sorry your right.

Clio Sport 182
Nope your incorrect hot water doesn't burn you. It's cold water you should look out for. In the water system of a car its different.

lol so water at nearly 90 deg' won't burn ya ??? i'll just pour the boiled kettle water over my hand to check ?????

ClioSport 172 Cup
Start the car up from cold with the expansion cap off and let the car run for a couple of minutes. Look for bubbles being blown up into the expansion tank. This is compression escaping through a broken head gasket into the water jacket.
IF there are no excessive amount of bubbles in the expansion tank and your oil is clean with no signs of water then you are OK. Keep cleaning the underside of your oil filler cap and see if it gets better e.g. less and less mayo.
Gaskets either brake causing oil and water to mix, OR just brake into the water jacket causing compression air to be blown into the water system.

Another check is to remove your spark plugs when the engine is HOT and look for water on the plugs, i`ve seen steam coming out of a spark plug hole before which is a sign of excess water leaking from the jacket into the cylinder chamber! lol

:)

Mondeo TDCI 130
Water boils at a higher temperature under pressure. If you undo the cap while its hot, it will burn you. I have a mate with a disfigured chest due to doing that!!