ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Gasket Failure?

Williams Clio
Hi everyone just looking for some advise,

My run around Mk2 1.4 16V Alize clio lost power on the motorway a few days ago which caused me to get the AA out to fix what I though was a coil pack issue. The AA guy found that cylinder no.1 had a misfire so he changed the coil pack which did not solve the problem. When removing the spark plug it was covered in oil. After replacing the plug we re-started the engine and again it miss fired. The plug was again removed and was covered in oil.

I'm guessing this is a head gasket failure?

Are they easy to change on the K4J engines? Parts including timing tools only come to £168 thats with a new cambelt kit as well. The car did not overheat and still drives on 3 cylinders so do I need to get the head skimmed?

As the car is only worth around £1000 I'm unsre if to bother doing it or to just sell it for £400-£500 needing a head gasket replacement as it does have 12 months MOT and 6 Months Tax still on it with nearly new tyres all round.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pretty sure that's not head gasket? Could be completely wrong though.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
dont think thats head gasket, not 100% though, is a bit strange. get it looked at, if it is the head gasket then id sell it tbh

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
My mate with a K4M had this issue, turned out to be the rocker cover gasket leaking oil into the plug wells.

his problems included lumpy idling and struggling to start, plus it was noticably low on power.

he would have changed the gasket but the engine had bigger problems and it was easier for us to change the whole unit :)

Williams Clio
If it was just the rocker gasket surely the spark plug electrode would not get covered in oil so quickly would it?

There were no other signs of head gasket failure though other than oil getting into cylinder no.1 causing a misfire.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
well that is what was diagnosed by a local mechanic who was into his rallying, so i trust his judgment. like i said i didnt get to find out the deffinite issue because the bottom end was boogered too. i still have the engine and ive not had chance to strip it to find out.

in fact thinking about it if the bottom end was boogered that could have caused the oily spark plug. this could spell bad news for you sorry

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Rocker gaskets commonly leak oil down into the plug chambers on the K and F engines, as yours is a k4J 1.4 16v you can do the rocker gasket without removing the cambelt and cam pulleys, where as on the 1.6 16v k4m you do.
Gasket is glue/sealant

Williams Clio
To diagnose it further I guess a compression check is the next thing to do which will tell me if it is piston rings valve stem seals or head gasket. If it holds pressure ok then the rocker gasket is a good bet. The speed in which the oil covered the spark plug is slighly worrying though.

Megane dci 130
VERY unlikely head gasket. Iv never done one!

Ali, how do you do the gasket without removing belt and pulleys?