ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Gasket gone???

Renault Clio 172
I started my car (mk1 phase1 1.4RT) up last night and it didn't want to start and then wouldn't idle properly for a while.

Thought it may be just the choke sticking so drove it.

Had a complete smoke screen coming from my car for about 3miles and then when I stopped at traffic lights it really didn't feel like it wanted to move. After driving a further 3miles looked at the water level and it was near enough empty (I usually check it each week when I wash the car). Took the top off the water and all the water that wasn't in there then came back up to the max level so it was presurised???

Was told it could be head gasket but anyone know what this sort of thing costs to get repaired?? Only had problems with it last night and drove it 6miles.

Renault Clio 172
Yup got antifreeze in- put some in recently.

Not very clued up on engines but if it was driven for 6miles could that still crack the head? still had a bit (about 1-2cm) of water in it so hadn't completely gone and once we took the water top off, the level was back up to max again?

Ah, i didnt read that bit in the first bit! How does it drive at the moment, still the same? does the water smell/have oil in it? whats it like under the oil cap?Take it for a good 30odd mile run down the motorway, and see if its still the same.

Renault Clio 172
Well at the moment (well late last night when I had to move it) it didn't sound healthy at all and took a lot more acceleration to move it than normal.Didn't notice any oil in the water but it was dark.

Can't see the car till later on tonight as it was left at the boyfriends. Someone should be going round there tomorrow to see if they can see what the problem is and hopefully repair it for me cheaper than a garage would charge.

Also, no water was coming out of the head and the water was still in the system and not leaking out anywhere we could hear it going through to somewhere but we dont know where as there's no patches on the ground etc
Thanks for your help mate!

Renault Clio 172
Thanks again!!

One quick query - the temperature stayed the same as what it usually is, didn't soar up or anything which is confusing

mine did this near chrismas, 1.4 rt by the way, i had loads of steam coming out my exhaust as well as what you sound like your experiencing

Renault Clio 172
Yup tonnes of steam/smoke coming out the back, was it your headgasket that had gone or something else casuing the problem??

CB600FS
When you start it up, does the coolant/anti-freeze in the header tank start bubbling straight away? And smell it for oil...

Like everyone else says, sounds like headgasket, easy enough job really

Hows the temp looking?

Sounds like head gasket apart fromt eh fact that you aren't loosing any water.

Have you got any mayo undet hte oil filler cap, or an oily film on the topo of the water?

Renault Clio 172
Haven't been over the bf's to have a look yet as have no transport until i get temporarily insured under parents car insurance. Mechanic came round to look and thinks its the headgasket thats gone but he's going to take the engine apart or have a better look on the 11th to see what damage it's done.

When the car is switched off you can hear the water moving around the system but it's not coming out anywhere and just presurises back up again when you open the water bottle. Also temperature is normal still? Didn't shoot up at all??

Guess we will only know on the 11th what has happened to it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
that dosnt sound like head gasket.....3 reason why, 1. your not loosing water, 2. your temps not steaming, 3. no trace's of oil in the water.....

anyone else agree?

FULL FAT 182
is ur cold air feed blocked or missing?

it happend to my old 1.2 diet engine last summer, the air feed moved meaning i didnt get any cold air to the airfilter.