ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head gasket

RS172
Well it's got oil in the coolant but not overheating I always thought it was common practice to skim the head if the head gasket had failed??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How much oil is in there?

if its got just the tiniest amount (say from a previous HG failure) oil will always rise to the top as its less dense than water.

I'd do the relavant tests to make sure is HG failure as the F4r is a bloody strong engine and HG failure is rare.

RS172
There is lots of oil I drained it and flushed it once before, but I've since found out it had its HG replaced in may last year and I brought it in the November!! It uses oil as well so good chance it's gone??

Megane 225 F1
IF the HG has gone twice on the same engine, something must be wrong with the engine. I'd look at getting a new engine in there tbh.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
How much oil is in there?

if its got just the tiniest amount (say from a previous HG failure) oil will always rise to the top as its less dense than water.

I'd do the relavant tests to make sure is HG failure as the F4r is a bloody strong engine and HG failure is rare.

you don't usually hear many plus points on reliability for a french car! But has to be said, overall these Clios are pretty good reliability wise, even if build quality isn't fantastic.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have you had anyone look at it?

Without meaning to piss on your chips, i'd probably just buy a new engine (I've got one, perfect condition on ebay and i'm in bristol)

The F4R heads don't like too much skimming. If its been done once it certainly won't like it again. Who carried out the repair? Is there not a warranty for their work?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Renault say they should not be skimmed. If it needs skimming its scrap.

RS172
Im just wondering if it was actually done first time or just bodged!! I was thinking it would probably be cheaper to buy another engine that's had all the belts and stuff done! But would have to swap my cams over!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Im just wondering if it was actually done first time or just bodged!! I was thinking it would probably be cheaper to buy another engine that's had all the belts and stuff done! But would have to swap my cams over!!

If you're putting a new engine in, you'd be mental not to get all the belts done and a new clutch.

Once you've done all that and put your cams in/given it a decent service, there's no reason why that engine won't give you years and years more use.

RS172
No paper work for the head gasket which is why I'm thinking it hasn't been done!! How much for an engine??

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
what actually makes a head gasket go? lack of coolant, knackered thermostats? or is it just bad luck?