ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Gasket?

RB FF 182
Hey guys,

So on the M69 yesterday at 'motorway speeds' I glance down at the fuel gauge and notice the temperature gauge is over 3/4. I immediately jumped in to the slow lane doing about 55/60 mph and the temp gauge dropped back quickly to 1/2 way mark.

I decided to take my time and stuck cruise control on to ensure I wasn't revving without the need to do so. And the gauge occasionally increased fairly rapidly to 3/4 and back to 1/2.

No warning lights or changes in running/performance.

I left everything to cool overnight and checked coolant this morning (bottle is filthy so can't see level easily). When I took off the lid it hissed and there was a gurgle.

Coolant was virtually non existent. Loads of gunk on lid and looks to be some in tank too. Topped up coolant and have only been to town and back so not exceeded 30mph.

Thermostat was changed before I bought the car (was mentioned thermostat gasket was goosed). Full coolant bleed and change before I bought the car too, about three months ago.

So, have I got a head gasket issue. Or is it probably just the thermostat gasket??

5y6eqy4u.jpg

aqusasun.jpg

If it is the head gasket, what kinda cost am I looking at?

RB FF 182
By the way... oil seems clean. Forgot to check levels so just waiting for car to cool down before I do that.

RB FF 182
Yeah I have read that they rarely go.... Apparently the thermostat gasket can allow oil/coolant to mix without any visible leaks?

It's one of those jobs that I've been putting off.... I've seen some thermostats that come with the gasket included for around £15. Is it easy to replace? If so, I may give this a go before taking it to a garage to diagnose. I'll obviously drain the coolant and start again.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Thanks Dan. Spoke to the previous owner and he's saying the same. Guess I just panicked a little seeing as she's a high miler!

I was down in Somerset last week, could've popped it in if I'd of known then! lol

Is this what I need: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CLIO-THERMOSTAT-COMPLETE-WITH-HOUSING-GASKET-/280641723812

No. It's genuine only, so speak to Adam from Renault Wolverhampton. It's just the gasket.

That ebay ad is renault Wolverhampton Parts's ebay site.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If you phone Adam, he will tell you what you need...he's damn clued up on 182s. :) (Just don't tell him its for an RB - Big Gay Blue he calls them!)

RB FF 182
If you phone Adam, he will tell you what you need...he's damn clued up on 182s. :) (Just don't tell him its for an RB - Big Gay Blue he calls them!)

Lol. Noted!! Most challenging part seems to be draining and flushing the coolant. Other than that looks fairly straight forward... Right? Lol

RB FF 182
FFFFFUUUUUU

Spent ages yesterday changing the gasket, coolant, and expansion bottle. Everything was all nice and clean. I used some gasket sealant alongside the new gasket and drained and flushed the system the best I could.

The coolant that came out of the bleed valve and wherever else I could get it from seemed pretty clean.

3yhysyby.jpg

Obviously as oil floats on water the stuff that came out if the tank was a different story:

gate2yhy.jpg

I got the car up to temp and also bled it and all seemed ok.

However, after a drive to work this morning I've lost most of the coolant. This isn't a surprise as the seal around the thermostat is goosed and I e ordered one from Adam at Renault Wolverhampton. The tank is also s**t up again too.... My nice shiny new tank.... :(

9y4yjaza.jpg

What happens now?! Obviously ill replace the seal and hopefully that'll stop the leak. (Although I can't see an actual leak!).