ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

head scratcher!

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
right. get your minds around this one.!

When the revs are low enough when driving, i am able to take the car out of gear without touching the clutch (but not select another, but can put back into the original gear), this works in all gears but easiest in 3rd at 30mph. But, if i drive at 40mph or even 35mph in 3rd gear, it is impossible to take it out of gear.

Anyone know if this is normal (clio) gearbox behaviour?

ps. Car never slips out of any gear at any speed, and gear changes are always fairly effortless.

pps. its a mk2ph2 2002 1.2 16v shed.

Its something to do with the syncros i think.

Aparantly rally drivers used to use this so they didnt heve to drop their clutch, (before 3 plate clutches)

There was a thread on this recently but i canna be bothered to dig it up.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
yeah if your able to match the revs in each gear you can use it to take the gear out and put it in to the next gear. my mate who races showed me this. cant do it to much though.

clio rsi!
just out of interest how the hell did you find this out?? cant say ive ever thought about changing gear at 30 with no clutch lol

When the revs are low enough when driving, i am able to take the car out of gear without touching the clutch (but not select another, but can put back into the original gear), this works in all gears but easiest in 3rd at 30mph. But, if i drive at 40mph or even 35mph in 3rd gear, it is impossible to take it out of gear.

Anyone know if this is normal (clio) gearbox behaviour?

ps. Car never slips out of any gear at any speed, and gear changes are always fairly effortless.
Thats normal gearbox behaviour you can pull a car out of gear if its nicly balenced putting it back more difficult got to ballence the revs. Its a good skill to try and master best doing it on courtesy car as at first you mess it up and its damaged the gearbox.
yeah if your able to match the revs in each gear you can use it to take the gear out and put it in to the next gear. my mate who races showed me this. cant do it to much though.
Its a good think to be able to do though incase your clutch ever does give up you can still drive round without using it (starting a pain though)

If you realy mess up a car you cna get away changing gear witout a clutch I had an old courtesy car which was fully sequenchail when i gave it back no need to use a clutch the box was that bad.

Biggest problem/weekeness with the clio box is the systncros wearing you'll relaise as chnaging gear a pain usually 1st to second and 2nd to third as that when most people abuse them.

Ren Clio 1.8 16v
i had to drive a fiat punto frm bourne end to otha side of tring with no clutch its all do able goin down gear is difficult u have to pull it out thn give the revs a lil blip before it will go in best to be goin slow :D