ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Unit Questions

1.4 Fiesta!!!

Hi, got a MK1 172 and want to get a new head unit, got a few questions:

What Im worried about is the steering remote and the seperate LCD display for the current standard unit. Is it true that the only HUs that support the remotes are Sony because they have an adaptor you can buy? Is the new Sony range any good, they look nice but Ive heard theyre a bit sh*te?

Also what happens to the seperate LCD display, will it go blank completely, does it display partial CD/Radio info, or will it just display temperature, etc?

Are there any other issues I should know about when I install it?

Cheers, J

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok

1. sony kenwood and alpine all do remote interfaces (pioneer coming soon)

(im an alpine man myself but .......)

2. the lcd goes blank except for the time/temp display

3 nope just remember that you need to remove the dash top and pilar panels to get to the remote interface wiring

PS if your local to me i can help you fit it when you get it.

if you need part numbers or any other more detailed info just pm me or post

1.4 Fiesta!!!

"remove the dash top and pillar panels" aargh! Sounds complicated...

Does this need to be done to disconnect the old HU from the remote and reconnect the new one? If so why didnt Renault put the connections at the back of the HU with all the other plugs/wires?

One more question, are most of the new HUs compatible with the standard CD changer?

PS: Im looking at buying the ALPINE CDA 7894RB/7998R or the PIONEER DEH P8400MP.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

its not complicated at all very easy in fact

1 .i dont know stupid renault for ya!!

2. depending on your cd changer / hu combo

(only sony will work with you exising changer you need to get another lead to do this and its not cheap)

if it was me i wouldnt use the changer

the 7998r has no internal amps so you would need to get an amp

the 7894 is superb and is less gimicky than the 8400

1.4 Fiesta!!!

The 7998R has no amp? So, if you install it as is, you wont get any sound untill you install an amp?
Thats sh*te, Alpine dont mention that on their website!

1.4 Fiesta!!!

Ok, thanks for your help Tom, you are the stereo Guru :)

All I got to do now is decide what head unit to get.