ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

headlamps, xenon etc

I note the Clio Cup comes without Xenon lamps, if I wanted Xenon lamps do I just have to buy Xenon bulbs or is it an entire cluster that needs buying?

Whats the deal with these other "xenon type" lamps - phillips bluevision etc

are any of them any good or are we talking about cheap xenon imittations here?

If theyre more than just bulbs, howd they differ from "normal" headlights?

I got a Willy, which Im guessing pre-dates Xenon technology, which hasnt exactly got the brightst set of eyes. Im guessing that these "xenon type" bulbs you can get are not as effective as true xenon - any ideas how to make the lights on the willy brighter (could do with seeing where Im going when tear arsing around the back roads late at night!)

Ive also heard that the Bluevision are illegal, or at the very least not popular with our flat footed friends - anyone had any experience with this?

Mike

i asked about xenon bulbs at a renault dealership, with my current 1.2 16v in mind (this was before i started dreaming of my cup) and the guy at the parts desk said "nooooooo, cant be done, needs a whole new assembly" I was sort of hoping that the CUP would be the same as the 172 but with sh*tter bulbs in it. Me thinks wishfull thinking. Is it some sort of heat thing? Like you get in lights for your house, Max 60W, etc.. or am I just having a hugely embarassing *blonde* (no offence to present blondes!) moment. :oops:

OK, here we go.....

Normal bulbs are incandescent, which means they have a filament (little wire coil). Most car bulbs are sealed bulbs with halogen gas to help stop the glass from shattering from the heat generated.

Lately they have been using Xenon gas to allow the filament to run hotter and whiter, to aproduce more light from the same wattage filament.

REAL Xenon bulbs, such as the 172 et al. have HID bulbs, which stands for High Intensity Discharge. Some older cars (E36 BMW, some Mazdas) use these bulbs, but they are not the Xenon type, maybe halogen.

HID bulbs have NO filament. They are a high pressure bulb, the size of a golf ball, which is filled with gas, say Xenon. There are two electrodes on the back of the globe, which pass high amounts of current, which excites the gas, and the gas ionises, and emits photons of light (yay chemistry lesson!).

So, you CANT put normal filament type Xenon replacement bulbs into a old car and expect the same brightness and colour as a 172, which has HID bulbs.

Thats why the Cup has no xenon. the whole unit must be heavier (even though i think they should throw away the bumper bars b4 they throw away those beautiful xenon headlights :()

So, there you have it. in a nutshell...

hope this helps...

Paul

Ad

MK2 FRS

As Xenon is an option on the extreme/dynamique. Surely if you find two Xenon healdlight units from a scrapyard then you can swap the two units and have Xenon???

Ive seen aftermarket Xenon kits for sale (in Demon Tweaks or POTN I think....?) - You get the bulb units and a large transformer to provide the higher current needed...pretty expensive - about 500 squids I think. Would look very cool on a valver!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

u can buy xenon lights from demon tweaks they are around 300 quid and that is the full assembly

MaLicE

sheet.

it looks like there is going to have be a choice between xenon and exaust system for a first mod then. poo.

looks vs power, hmmmm

thoughts?

I just put the Philip Blue Vision bulbs in my Clio. White light, very bright... but not Xenon.

Daz.

Ad

MK2 FRS

So, If I get hold of a set of Xenons off a 172 can I fit them with very little effort???