ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight Restoration

Clio 1.2 16v
Been meaning to have a crack at my headlights for a while now, they weren't the worst looking in the world but certainly needed a bit of attention.

I saw someone using a 3M kit that looked pretty nifty and was only £20 off eBay so thought I would give it a shot.

It's worth pointing out that I have never tried anything like this before so I didn't really know what results I would get. Also the kit recommended using a drill with a speed range of around 1200-1600 RPM. The only 2 drills I have are a cordless drill at 550 RPM and a mains drill at 2800 RPM, so like a man I went for the faster of the 2.

Lets have a look at the kit then shall we:

img6397b.jpg

Pretty neatly packed, I was expecting something much bigger. It didn't come with a banana for those wondering, that would just be weird.

Lets open it up:

img6405gj.jpg

Everything inside feels good quality and the velcro is pretty strong.

Now lets see the state of the headlights:

img6401t.jpg

img6403mn.jpg

img6404b.jpg

Lets get started.

Looks pretty cool with green tape I think:

img6406f.jpg

There is plenty of masking tape, I would recommend doing 2 layers of it if you can. Because of the speed of my drill it was quite hard to control it and I did slip off once and catch some of the paint work on the bumper (some G3 has fixed this pretty much though).

During the sanding stage:

img6410tx.jpg

I'll skip right ahead to the finished stage, i'm sure you don't need to see all the inbetween sanding stages.

Much better:

img6411p.jpg

img6412f.jpg

After a much needed bath:

img6418c.jpg

img6420g.jpg

Side by side before and after:

img6403copy.jpg

So whats the verdict? Its not completely perfect but that depends how much effort you put in, you can see it makes a big difference though. The instructions do recommend repeating the 3000 grit and mopping process a few times to improve the result but I only did it once, so I guess if I can be bother spending more time on it I can get them looking better. There is enough compound so go over the lights about 4 times each I guess.

But for £20 (and free next day postage) I really can't grumble and it's worth doing.

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Chris.

Clio 1.2 16v
for your first effort that looks bloody good!! and like you say for £20 you can't moan. :approve:

Cheers, there a obviously a few bits the camera doesn't quite pick up but like I said, a few more runs with the fine wet sand and mop then it should fix them.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
right thats it, i'm going to have a crack myself :)

does the kit actually come with the attachement for the drill that the pads velcro to? or buy that seperate??

BG FF 182
I've done mine by hand about 3 times now, a lot of effort & arm burn but really makes the front end look so much better! Good work!

172 + 350z
Great improvement and for the price cannot grumble! Nice to see you have taken the time to do a small write up as well!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
On the basis of that, I've just bought myself the same kit! My headlight units are exactly the same as yours in the before-pics - so hopefully I'll get similar results.

Great thread :)

D.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Great results mate !
Do you need to laquer the lights after finished or if not what do you all use to stop them going all shitty again ???

Clio 1.2 16v
Looks good. Don't forget you can just lift the bonnet instead of taping it up ;)

I thought about that but I knew the drill would splatter cutting compound all over the place, so the bottom seemed easier to clean that then engine bay.

On the basis of that, I've just bought myself the same kit! My headlight units are exactly the same as yours in the before-pics - so hopefully I'll get similar results.

Great thread :)

D.

Good luck, look forward to seeing the results.

Great results mate !
Do you need to laquer the lights after finished or if not what do you all use to stop them going all s**tty again ???

This I don't know, I don't think there is anything you can do to them, nor have I seen anyone do anything.

Chris.

Liamm

ClioSport Club Member
  Not anymore
You got tape?! I don't think I did :S
On the other hand, doesn't it smell good!?

Liamm

ClioSport Club Member
  Not anymore
My kit looks different to yours, the pictures are different on the packet. Still cost £19 though.
And I mean when you just open the pack, new plastic/foam and everything smells good. I've got a good sense of smell so noticed straight away haha.