ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headunit Installation Questions

luketheduck

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 182; Octy vRS 245
I'm looking to get a new headunit, so that I can use an aux in and occasional USB (although that's not vital).

I just need to know how to (if possible) retain use of the steering wheel controls and also the LCD info.

1) What do I need to look for on the new headunit to support these/what extras needed
2) How hard/easy are these to install?
3) Cost?

Would it be a better idea just to buy the aux in adapter (although I have the 'tuner list' stereo so that isn't so straighforward...). Bit worried the sound quality won't be great if I just stick with the factory stereo.

I did have a look back on the forum but can't find a clear answer all in one place.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
You will need a Connects2 kit to keep use of your steering wheel controls - this will be sold separately from the head unit and is available online or from an audio shop.

You won't be able to keep your LCD display with an aftermarket headunit. Mine for example only says "Renault" and the temperature now. Track info etc has gone.

Installation on the Connects2 and the headunit is very easy.. just fiddly trying to tidy all the wires back behind the head unit.

Price would depend on what Connects2 kit you use. Around £70 though.

Listerine & Poledo
You can get a lead for Alpine head units that will retain both the stalk controls and the dash-top display.

they're about £70 I think (when I got mine it was about that anyway) and are specific to particular alpine units (so not the entry-level ones) and whether the renault unit is a Tuner list or update list.

budget about £270 for head unit and lead. If MT Audio is still on here, he could well be worth a call (saying that, I'm sure I've got that cable lie-ing about somewhere....whether it'll be useful to you depends on many variables)

luketheduck

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 182; Octy vRS 245
Cheers for the advice.

Was probably looking at getting an Alpine head unit, but how do I know which ones are compatible? Ie. where the range stops being entry level?

Listerine & Poledo
OEM Display output? I think thats what they call it. something like THIS or THIS would do the job nicely.

Then, all you need is a little sub for your boot (maybe something like this) and that's all you need ever do to the stereo in your Clio.

But your first hurdle is to get the cable... on your renault stereo it'll say Update List or Tuner List, contact MT Audio or an alpine dealer and see what you can sort. Alternatively, eBay.... and PM me when you know which it is, I'll see which oner I've got. If it's useful to you, you can just have the thing.