ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heater Matrix

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Evening chaps,

I’ve been battling a leak in the drivers footwell of my 182 for a couple of months now.
Took the carpet out and put down a dusting of talc to try and trace it. Turns out it’s dropping coolant as the tiny puddle in the footwell is green and sweet smelling. I did think the coolant was ever so slightly dropping...
Pics of said puddle incoming.

From what I’ve read, this is a f*cked heater matrix. Seems a big job to do - dash out etc.
Before I go and rip everything apart this week, where is the best place to order a heater matrix from? There are a few on eBay cheap as well as the usual ECP bits. Would prefer new for piece of mind, so RPD would be my best bet?
Is there just the one heater matrix for all PH2 clios, or do they differ between models?

Anyone done this before? How long are we looking to do it. I’m off for two weeks but the weather is awful!

Cheers
Sam

wms_f1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Evening chaps,

I’ve been battling a leak in the drivers footwell of my 182 for a couple of months now.
Took the carpet out and put down a dusting of talc to try and trace it. Turns out it’s dropping coolant as the tiny puddle in the footwell is green and sweet smelling. I did think the coolant was ever so slightly dropping...
Pics of said puddle incoming.

From what I’ve read, this is a f*cked heater matrix. Seems a big job to do - dash out etc.
Before I go and rip everything apart this week, where is the best place to order a heater matrix from? There are a few on eBay cheap as well as the usual ECP bits. Would prefer new for piece of mind, so RPD would be my best bet?
Is there just the one heater matrix for all PH2 clios, or do they differ between models?

Anyone done this before? How long are we looking to do it. I’m off for two weeks but the weather is awful!

Cheers
Sam

Did you change your heater matrix in the end? If so, did you attempt it yourself? How long did it take?

Also, which brand matrix did you go for?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Did you change your heater matrix in the end? If so, did you attempt it yourself? How long did it take?

Also, which brand matrix did you go for?

Cheers

I did indeed (y)

I did it on my drive over the course of a weekend (as well as doing other jobs), but you could probably do it in a morning if you know what you’re doing and don’t stop for endless cups of tea.
Honestly, it wasn’t too bad, the worst bit is trying to squeeze it in between the crash bar as there’s feck all room and it’s easy to trap your fingers.

I read a few posts about dodgy off-brand matrix’s so I ordered direct through RPD. Not cheap and they had to order it from somewhere in France but it’s a genuine part and not really something I wanted to be doing again in a hurry.

I’ve documented it here on page 2 of my build thread. Should help you out a bit and give you an idea of the job

I hope this helps, but give me a shout if you need anymore help

wms_f1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks for the reply. Ive had a read of your thread and that helps seeing some photos of it being done.

Excellent work on your car too! Im tempted to follow the same route with changing the radiator, coolant bottle and possibly hoses at the same time as doing the matrix.

Are you happy with the MTC hoses?

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you very much mate (y)

yeah, it makes sense to change the rad, hoses etc while you’ve got the coolant drained. My rad was knackered anyway so it’s worth doing if you have the funds.

The MTC hoses have been great so far. A few boys on here run them and there’s no complaints. For the price, you can’t go wrong. Just use decent jubilee or hose clamps!

wms_f1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks for that.

My radiator isnt bust (yet) but just looks in a sorry state!

Thanks for the recommendation on the hoses.

I dont suppose you or anyone has a list of the correct size jubilees/clamps required for the hoses?

Thanks

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
I pinched this from @Louis build thread, but here are the sizes for the Jubilee/hose clips for the cooling system.

JCS HIGRIP
Pack QTY: Pack of 4, Material Spec: W4 - Stainless Steel, Clip Size: 17-25mm (0X)
Pack QTY: Pack of 10, Material Spec: W4 - Stainless Steel, Clip Size: 25-35mm (1)
Pack QTY: Pack of 4, Material Spec: W4 - Stainless Steel, Clip Size: 35-45mm

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've been running these since fitting and they're great. Think I did buy some smaller ones but never fitted them in the end as these nipped up sufficiently.