ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hello and insurance

Hi all (first post)

iv just bought a 1.2 clio to learn to drive in (im 17 next week) and was just wondering whats the cheapest way of insuring it and who with?

what kind of price is anyone else paying on a 1.2 at 17?

any rough figures? the cheapest iv got is £560 for any driver (inc under 25) which doesnt seem that bad although its stil higher than id like it to be, does it get any cheaper? and if so who with?

Quote: Originally posted by docter fox on 15 December 2004
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">what kind of price is anyone else paying on a 1.2 at 17?<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">any rough figures? <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">the cheapest iv got is £560 for any driver (inc under 25) which doesnt seem that bad although its stil higher than id like it to be, does it get any cheaper? and if so who with?

:eek: Is that 3rd party, thats very cheap imo

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 15 December 2004

I paid around £1,000 on my 1.2 Oasis at 17
ooh er the £560 is third party fire and theft so perhaps its not as bad as i thought....

tesco quoted me £1300......what am i doing wrong there then?

Vee dub

I went with Direct Line and was fully comp

Down to £400 now :)

Try elephant theyr top

just bought the insurance over the phone, £534 with my dad main driver but no NCB for that policy, me as a named driver but also any other driver, any age, with a full or provisional license, went through CIS, very helpful people and seems a good price

it starts on the 22nd at 00:01 :D perhaps a bit of night time driving/learning is in order

Shhh

Ill give you a idea on mine.

Aged 24, 2002 Clio 1.2 16v Expression (Group 3). Standard except for cd player. Passed car test in 2000, bike in 1998 (has no effect in a way). Now have 3 years no-claims bonus, no claims nor convictions. £380 Full Comp with £200 excess. Had car from new, 2nd owner on V5. Added my mum to the policy as she is a careful driver, and added the gf who is older again. Seems that i may not be driving it as much in their eyes.

Now, bear in mind your age, how you will mod the car, etc...

I would think around £1000 if ideal for a young person full comp on a clio at 17. Being 21 with a XR2i was £1400 TPFT. Im now looking into getting a Impreza, so i have to start the process of looking again.

Theirs my input..

Alias

iv been on my mams insurance for 2 years, used to pay 560 quid on a 1.2 facelift clio. now im 21 so i decided to start by myself so i got a 172 and im paying 2100 quid fully comp with a limited mileage (8000) through tesco every where else was 4000 quid and over

dave

don't

mate, no wonder its cheap 4 u, ur under ur dads name, we were all expecting u to go on ur own policy

u wont get any no claims up that way so i suggest when u turn 18 and renew ur insurance that u go on ur own policy

elephant and admiral have been gd lately, u can go on ur own policy but list ur mum/dad or some1 older as 2nd drivers and itll bring the policy right down

I was on my old mans policy for 2 years on a 1.1 fiesta, followed by a diesel clio. When i finally bought my own insurance, i was 21 and it cost me £900 tpft. Thats on a clio Rsi.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Go on your own insurance mate. Its a right pain, but at least you can get your no-claims up, which means by the time your 21, youve got 4 years (touch wood), and can realistically look at getting good cars.

That way, you can get a 172 (cheap by then - for example)while your mates are kicking about in 1.2 / 1.4s cos they cant afford the insurance.

Also, read the document on the insurance part of the site about going under your parents name, your insurance could be invalid if you are more than an occasional user (ie - the main driver but in your dads name).

Sounds a good price though for any driver, any age, passed or not.

when i pass my test il be first driver on a 2.0 kitcar with the likes of Kent, Weber and Spax making it even more fun :D, thats only £1200 with me first driver and il be getting the No Claims Bonus from that, which should hopefully mean that when im around the age of 21, i should be able to drop a cosworth YB engine in as a direct replacement, get it chipped and blitz most things on the road :cool: (in the dry anyway)

sorry if i made it sound like i was going to be first driver, we decided that while i was learning, my dad would probably be using it more than me, so it didnt really matter whether it was in my name