ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello everyone! I have a couple of general questions.

172 Cup
Hello everyone. I'm Oliver from Stoke on Trent and I have recently aquired a 03 plate 172 cup in standard form. It's booked in for a cambelt in September as it's due. I need to give it a quick service also. The front splitter has cracked a little and the steering wheel is worn as per the norm but other than that it's peachy.

The reason for my post: I have done some searching but can't seem to find exact answers to my questions.

1. The speedo occasionaly fails so I have ordered a replacement. I know where the sensor is located. I just wanted to know if you just pull the old one straight out or whether there is a specific tecnique?

2. For those of you with aftermarket wheels that has lost the airbag, how does it affect your insurance when declaring that you have replacing the rs wheel for a none airbag varient?

3. I'm used to old mx5s that have very mechanical feeling throttles. The clios feels very artificial in comparison and sometimes I feel as though the speed fluctuates a little on constant throttle and some times I also feel that the throttle control means I struggle to maintain a constant speed on a motorway due to lack of feel? Does this seem pretty normal?

Thanks guys

apologies If there any any spelling errors, tea is ready and the missus is telling me to get off the computer!

182 cup
Hi oliver, welcome to the forum! Nice choice of car by the way :cool:

1. I had my speedo sensor replaced last year as mine was playing up. as far as i could see, it just pulls out. there is a heat shield that will need to be moved in order to get at it - mine had come off and the wires had melted!

2. I used to have an aftermarket steering wheel and when i informed the insurance, there was no increase in premium and they did not ask if it had an airbag. I declared it as an aftermarket item and they were happy to accept that.

3. I have no problem in keeping the speed constant. Your car is drive by wire so will be sensitive to small alterations in pedal position. You just get used to it i suppose!

Hope this helps

Mike

172 Cup
Cheers for that guys. I've got my cambelt booked in at a place in baddeley green. Not the cheapest or most reputable but I know the guy, it's local and he's knocking me some off. Where abouts are you in staffs as I know another guy but he's off for sometime and I can't really wait much longer.

Sounds good about the sensor. I don't have a heatshield either so that's probably part of my problem. I'm thinking of making one from a can of red bull? Should do the trick. I read somewhere on here about the speed sensor being on a bracket attached to the gearbox mount with two clips that needed to be removed but I'm guessing that's a ph1 thing?

I am getting used to the throttle more and more. It's natural I guess to feel a little alienated. The mx5 is the best thing you have fir genuine feel next to a caterham.

'04 182
I'm just outside Stafford, but I won't be getting it done until next year, I'm just putting the feelers out to find any trusted local garages. I know what you mean about the throttle, I previously had an MR2, although I'm fine with it now.

Clio 172 Cup
Hi Oliver i am also from Stoke,i had my cambelt done at GT Motorsport in Smallthorne i payed 120 for kit n 160 labour but i`ve had nothin but hassle since can u pls let me know how u go on.
My 172 is 53plate if u get a other issues feel free 2 mail me..

172 Cup
Of course i will let you know. Mine goes in on the 10th

on the speed sensor topic...(it cuts out more frequently and im still waiting mind to turn up) I'm sure the car feels more responsive and more urgent at part throttle when the speedo drops to zero than when it's working? Does that make sense?

Cheers

Listerine & Poledo
Morning EX-MX

I too went from an MX-5 to a clio, I know your pain about feel. The extra weight at the wheel doesn't make up for the lack of feel overall. Personally I more miss the lack of being able to chuck the roof off at a moments notice.

You will be happier trying to keep pace with the traffic though... and not having to worry about walking out to your car and finding a "sunroof" cut into it.