ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello i’m new to the forum

Hello people, im new to Cliosport. Been thinking of buying a 172 Cup this year, not sure wheather i could cope without ABS!!:eek:

Might have to just get a regular 172!

Yeah will do mate!! What are the correct performance figures for a 172 and Cup? Not factory figures cos their normally conservative. Just wondering how 0-100 mph compares to my VTS?

I am also new here and Ive just bought a 172 cup.

After having a scooby and a Golf tdi 150 bhp, I am more than impressed with

the Cup.

Go for it as soon as possible

Jaycup

Buy a CTR instead;) it has ABS. Saying that it is usless in the ice/snow. See me perorming at Disney on Ice at a road near you soon.!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by KeithO on 07 January 2003

Buy a CTR instead;)
No keith no

blimey next your be saying he should get a astra gsi ;)

Tom, I would get one if I could get two other mates with them to drive around like a roller coaster!!! Would be great:D

My scooby was a UK300 with no prodrive converstion ie standard wrx.

I think the cup blitzes the wrx for thottle response and outright quickness but this could be because it is smaller and more harsh to drive. With the weather being so sh1te over the last 3 weeks I have not had a real chance to have a good blast but the Cup seems more fun to drive and much cheaper to run.

Jaycup

Well i just watched the craggy vs paddy video and can see where the 172s power comes into play. I had my VTS timed at 22.8 secs 0-100mph, what does the 172 do it in? About 18 ive heard?

I would only get a cup on track..in fact no id just get a 172 on track too! Its more fun, obviously not as quick but who cares? The cup is quite fidgety on the road under breaking in anything but a perfect road, throttle response is very good and it really will blow the socks off more expensive motors but thats not quite enough to justify it being worth getting over the normal 172. Thats my opinion anyway..im a big fan of abs and air con in road cars!!

If you do get one for gods sake stay off the "Naughty Pedal" until the Spring or youll be admiring your Cup from within a ditch! Its not the most road hugging of cars and does take some grasping at high revs.

Still, floor it and hold on tight!

Well the power to weight ratio is very impressive on the cup (171 bhp per tonne). I just dont wanna waste loads of money on a 172 or Cup though and find performance isnt greatly better than my VTS. How are 172s around the twisties?

Trust me the performance difference over a VTS is VAST! Mate had a VTS and now has a CTR and said they are worlds apart. Then he drove my Cup and scared himself sh1tless!

In summary a VTS is good, no doubt, but a Cup is well worth the money. All those car mags that rated the Cup the top hot hatch in the UK cant all be wrong?!

The VTS is a very good car but the 172/cup has it beaten in every area, i cant see how youd be dissapointed. If you like your old skool hot hatches..the cup will be right up your street. The 172 is the all round package however. Obvious comparison cars are the CTR which in my opinion havent got as good a chassis as i would of hoped, and road noise is annoying..but i guess im a wimp. Hard to compare a scooby as really theyre totally different, but id take a 172 over it.

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 07 January 2003

Well the power to weight ratio is very impressive on the cup (171 bhp per tonne). I just dont wanna waste loads of money on a 172 or Cup though and find performance isnt greatly better than my VTS. How are 172s around the twisties?

172s have are quicker and more luxurious than a VTS but youll have to sacrifice some of your VTS handling. I bought a 172 end of last year and sold it within a month and went back to my 106 GTI as the handling just isnt up there compared to the 106 GTI / VTS.....

I dont know how much your VTS is worth now, but Id be tempted to hang on to it. One of the area reps - Craggy - has a Williams, but also recently bought a VTS.

Hes impressed us all with its pace (with his videos) and certainly opened my eyes to the VTS.

But the Cup is in the next performance league up - get one!

106 gtis..agreed better handling, but its not actually more fun, and besides the 172 is heavier so what do you expect. To match performance youd need to get a supercharger (whine, argh!!) and then theres the fact them chassis cant take over 150bhp..just get a 172/cup!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

plus a 106\saxo is a ax with new parts

i know id rather live in a clio in a crash

touche away

mk2 172

ralphy, get a 172 but dont take that video result as what would happen, THAT is the only 172 that goes like that, against a vts thats only done a 1000 miles, think most people here think there car goes lie paddys, but iv seen loads go, and not one yet that could match it, none have ever came close to john like paddys did. just my 2p worth, youd still get beat but not like that.

craggy

get a 172 sport

Its got all the toys you need when stuck in traffic 9which tends to be most of the time but has the power when you get on an open road.

Saxos are like Rabbits - Whoops best not start that one again.

mk2 172

lol, theres a lot of flack for the saxo, and tes the interior is crap and rattley, but when its bought to drive it wipes the floor with the 1.6 clio in handling and performance.

Nice to see people on here arent biased towards the clio, respect to you all.:)

I might test drive a 172 at the weekend. Before the VTS i owned a VTR and the leep in performance was unbelieveable!

320d M Sport

it wouldnt take too much to get a VTS quicker than a 172 (to 60). to 100 is another matter altogether, it has about 3/4 seconds to make up.... theyre not slow though, said that for ages, for the money you wont get much else better (new car, free insurance,dead easy to work on etc etc).

Paddy

Quote: Originally posted by Craggy on 07 January 2003

ralphy, get a 172 but dont take that video result as what would happen, THAT is the only 172 that goes like that, against a vts thats only done a 1000 miles, think most people here think there car goes lie paddys, but iv seen loads go, and not one yet that could match it, none have ever came close to john like paddys did. just my 2p worth, youd still get beat but not like that.

craggy
Craggy

Just out of interest, how does Paddys Mk2 compare to the Mk1s youve been in (such as Forest172s)?

Those vids of your Saxo will make me think twice before picking on VTSs again mate!!! :eek:

I wouldve come along to the meet, but didnt know anything about it until late Sunday night when I got back home to my broadband connection! Arse! More notice next time please lads! ;):oops: My cars feeling much better since a good old ragging round Donnington a couple of months back, so Id have liked to see how it compared...

Matt

BMW 320d Sport

well ralphy one thing I will say about Renault is far from being conservative with their performance figures like Peugeot/Citroen, they are too liberal IMHO. Always looks better on paper than it really is! But there is no doubt that a 172/cup are the next step up from a VTS or 106GTi.

Also Ray (?) the throttle response of the Cup vs the Scooby is bound to be a lot better simply because its not turbocharged, when you floor it the power is there straight away as long as your at the right revs.

Quote: Originally posted by Paul Freemantle on 07 January 2003

get a 172 sport

Its got all the toys you need when stuck in traffic 9which tends to be most of the time but has the power when you get on an open road.

Saxos are like Rabbits - Whoops best not start that one again.

Couldnt agree more.... Complete package and really fast. Forget those PSA group cars....

mk2 172

tough one that mat, theres only one mk1 around iv seen that would take paddys out and its tim0 but his is tuned, and like a missile.i really cant imagine any standard one beating it i mean, its a freak really with 152@ the wheels so i wouldnt be to bothered if i got beat by paddy in a 172, itts only the same thing people had to put up with with me and jon in the willys:D.like i said, there may be a few fast ones around, a few spring to mind that have been notoriously fast but id be shocked. only way to find out is a race mate!

Paddy0s right it wouldnt take much to get the vts time down.

A lad on SSC had a stripped out vts with only an induction kit and a manifold, on a timed day at Bruntingthorpe his fastest 0-60 time was 6.3 secs, cant rememeber his 0-100, will find out as that is the important one!

Some n/a vtss are starting to appear with more power now due to the time weve had to mod them.

Im sure the same will be said of the 172 in 6 months to a year.

Although if i had a 172 i dont think i would mess with it (too much) its fine as it is :)

Craggy where did you film those vids????