ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello! Looking to get into Renaultsport ownership

GTR, Spec C, 197 Cup
Hi everyone! I am from Hong Kong and currently looking to import a Clio 172 Cup or 197 Cup (preferably with A/C and Recaros) from the UK as both of these versions of the Clio were never sold over here. I have always wanted a French hot hatch and almost bought one over the years (first was a Peugeot 205 GTi, then a 106 rallye). But because of the cars I owned when looking at these, it never felt right...until now.

I now have a R32 Skyline GTR and a WRX STi Type RA Spec C, and I think a quick and focused Clio fit right in the mix, serving as the car thats capable of both daily work and spirited b-road driving.

I have been lucky enough to try my friends' Clio 182 Trophy and R26R, and I was instantly attracted to the Renaultsport hatches. Seeing that the 172 Cup and 197 Cup are still reasonably priced at the moment, I thought it may be a good idea to import a clean example to be enjoyed.

I will keep an eye on the "for sale" threads on here :) Meanwhile, I will keep reading the threads and learn more about the knowledge that's being shared here.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi!

It's also worth looking on eBay.co.uk, pistonheads.com and autotrader.co.uk if you haven't already.

I think the 197's are the real bargain at the moment although many people say the 200 is a better car 🤷

Everyone is very friendly on here which makes it easy to ask questions/get involved with the forum even if your not in the UK.

GTR, Spec C, 197 Cup
Ps - pictures of the GTR and STI required 😎
here you go 😀
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-10 at 12.15.27 AM.jpeg

GTR, Spec C, 197 Cup
Years of lusting after a French hatchback and I've finally done it 🤗 I've got myself a 197 Cup!

Plenty of work to be done on this car and I've ordered R26R brakes discs, DS2500 pads, Eibach springs, OEM Cup shocks, Pure Motorsport top mounts, Speedline Cup Racer wheels and more.

There's a notable flat spot in the lower rev range and I'm looking to get that sorted down the line but I will enjoy the car for a bit first (any suggestions/solutions welcomed).

Parts should start arriving early Feb so hopefully I will get the car back on the road soon. Battery died a week after I collected the car... 🤡

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 17.51.33.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-01-19 at 17.51.32.jpeg

GTR, Spec C, 197 Cup
I prefer using public transport when travelling to work and I only drive during early mornings or late nights to avoid traffic. The city roads get very congested during office hours and stay the same until everyones gone home.

But yes, there are great mountainous roads here and that is where I do most of my driving. Roads get pretty tight and twisty so agile and lighter cars are favoured for spirited driving.

Interestingly, the road surface here has been getting worse and worse so any car as stiff as the current Porsche GT cars will be bouncing around and struggling to get on throttle.

The Clio fits in very well in these conditions due to its smaller size. I first fell in love with the Clio in a 182 Trophy, then saw a gorgeous Williams rolling down familiar roads. Unfortunately, most of the 172/182 Clios over here have disappeared (either crashed or scrapped) as they were a very popular choice for enthusiast drivers. The Renault dealer in Hong Kong never sold the197 Cup, so my imported Cup stands to be the only one known in Hong Kong.

GTR, Spec C, 197 Cup
I have done some mileage in the 197 Cup and notice there is a significant flat spot around 2.5-3k rpm (with occasional kangarooing). The throttle response is also notably delayed as compared to the 182 setup (more akin to the delay in a R26R).

I have been told that the flat spot can be tuned away on a rolling road dyno but the throttle response cannot be sorted. Is this true and any advice to make the engine/power delivery more responsive and immediate?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
You could try a sprint booster.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Hello, I have spent some time in Hong Kong and have never seen a Renault sport, I honestly think as you obviously have the means to buy the very best, do just that and spend on a mint condition trophy with the best service history you can get, I find the mk2 much more torquey low down than a mk3 for the kind of traffic and speed you will see in HK, are you in the new territories? Or mainland/Kowloon?.

GTR, Spec C, 197 Cup
Hello, I have spent some time in Hong Kong and have never seen a Renault sport, I honestly think as you obviously have the means to buy the very best, do just that and spend on a mint condition trophy with the best service history you can get, I find the mk2 much more torquey low down than a mk3 for the kind of traffic and speed you will see in HK, are you in the new territories? Or mainland/Kowloon?.

There still are some Renaultsports knocking around Hong Kong and quite a few of the special ones as well (Williams, V6, Trophy, R26R, Trophy R). They are regarded as "niche" cars here and the market for them is relatively small compared to, say, Porsche BMW Mercedes Honda Toyota.

I decided to get a mk3 Cup instead of a mk2 Trophy mainly because of the value proposition the mk3 offers. Even after a major suspension and brake refresh, it is still considerably cheaper than a well looked after 182 Trophy here. TBH a 172 Cup would be my ideal Clio as its price is still relatively reasonable to the 182 Trophy and has the liveliness of the mk2, but unfortunately we don't have a single 172/182 Cup here.

I agree the mk2 is more torquey below 3rpm but above that, they aren't that far apart to have any meaningful difference. The chassis of the mk3 is also noticeably more developed. As I do most of my driving late night, traffic isn't that big of an issue for me, but I see your point on low-end torque, which is sometimes necessary in a busy city like Hong Kong. So far, I am quite happy with the mk3 Cup as it is everything I expect it to be.

I do most of my driving on Hong Kong Island.

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
There still are some Renaultsports knocking around Hong Kong and quite a few of the special ones as well (Williams, V6, Trophy, R26R, Trophy R). They are regarded as "niche" cars here and the market for them is relatively small compared to, say, Porsche BMW Mercedes Honda Toyota.

I decided to get a mk3 Cup instead of a mk2 Trophy mainly because of the value proposition the mk3 offers. Even after a major suspension and brake refresh, it is still considerably cheaper than a well looked after 182 Trophy here. TBH a 172 Cup would be my ideal Clio as its price is still relatively reasonable to the 182 Trophy and has the liveliness of the mk2, but unfortunately we don't have a single 172/182 Cup here.

I agree the mk2 is more torquey below 3rpm but above that, they aren't that far apart to have any meaningful difference. The chassis of the mk3 is also noticeably more developed. As I do most of my driving late night, traffic isn't that big of an issue for me, but I see your point on low-end torque, which is sometimes necessary in a busy city like Hong Kong. So far, I am quite happy with the mk3 Cup as it is everything I expect it to be.

I do most of my driving on Hong Kong Island.
Driving round the mid levels and towards the peak is where I was personally thinking the need for low down punch would come in handy as well as darting in and out of traffic before going into the Kowloon tunnel with your windows down!