ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help and advice please for a 172 (and car in general) newbie.

Clio 172
Hi guys.

So last week I got my first 172, and for the first time in eleven years (since I passed my test) I want to actually take an interest in my car. I've driven a lot of vehicles, numerous cars and pick up trucks etc, but embarrassingly I know very little about the inner workings of them. But reading through the forum here I can see you guys are really helpful, so hopefully you can give me a few pointers with my Clio.

Its a silver 2003 172. Its done a good fair few miles at 106,000 but has only done 14,000 since 2009 and 4000 since its MOT last year, when it had a decent amount spent on it. It also had its cam belt done at 70,000 which I hear is a big thing for these Clio Sports. I'm well impressed with it though and it looks great for its age.

A few things I want to know/want help with though are-

*It slightly veers to the right. It isn't bad and it isn't all the time, but it is there. What would be the cause of this, and is it pricey?

*The car is very quick, but it isn't great on corners. This might just be because the roads have been wet since I bought it, but it just feels a bit wobbly on a sharp bend if I go around at a decent speed, could this be related to the above problem, is it something else or is it just because it has a big engine pushing along a small body and the front can't keep up lol?

*I'm too old to be a boy racer, but at the same time I'd like to get a decent exhaust on it. To my untrained eye it just looks like a bog standard exhaust you'd see on a standard car/Clio. So, are there any decent, cheap (my missus will kill me otherwise) exhausts that are loud without being overly intrusive? ...and how much do garages tend to charge to fit them.

*Lastly, my Clio is very shiny to say its almost ten years old and I'd like to keep it that way. Any tips or advice on doing so, or failing that, any good places that do it for you? (In Lancashire ideally).

If anyone can help with any of the above points I'd be really grateful, because I honestly don't have a clue. Its going in for its MOT at the end of this month and I want to make it actually sound like I have a clue what I'm talking about, and also possibly know any extras I might need them to do. I.e fitting a new exhaust.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

RS172
Tracking or worn ball joints will make it pull to the right!

and I found that if your rear shocks are knackered then it will corner badly!

Id spend £12 on ClioSport membership to get access to the guides etc.

best money you'll spend on your car!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Id spend £12 on ClioSport membership to get access to the guides etc.

best money you'll spend on your car!

The guides on here have helped me out alot! Well worth the 12 quid.

Pulling to the left could be knackered track rod ends, i just had mine replaced, they were £10 each plus fitting, then i got my tracking done after and that made a huge difference!!

Any photos of the car?

clio 172 cup
my cup was handling bad round bends and that was cause off my shocks being f***ed also my bottom arm bushes were away which made it twitchy when going into holes and stuff on the road not to expensive to fix

Clio 172
Sorry for the late reply and thanks to the people who replied. I checked the thread about 12 hours after posting and had no replies and then totally forgot about it. :eek:

I think the first thing I'll do is get the £12 quid membership, try and get some pictures (I work nights and its always bleedin' dark when I'm awake lol.) Then give this thread a bump, because I have many more questions than its reasonable to ask at the minute lol.

The car actually has 3 different make tyres between the four of them lol, so maybe that could effect performance? They are all quite new though with good tread still

One more basic question if anyone will play along.

-What are the screws used under the bonnet called. I notice the oil and air filter (I think?) are covered with a plastic case, I have the right screwdriver bit I, but they are a bit rusty so I want to replace them but not look like an idiot when shopping for them.

I have been trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can but I'm struggling to find places I can learn the very basics about my Clio and how it runs, I'm even looking at down a mechanics course because other than changing a tyre and checking the oil I'm just useless :(

So yeah, cheers to those who answered.