ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Been Told a New Engine is Needed!

Help!

I've recently been having coolant problems with my J Reg ('91/'92) MK1 1.4 Clio where ive been trying to top up the water virtually as fast as its been draining! However not realising it was a major problem, as it wasnt the first time I've had to fill the water up as the weather gets better didnt think much of it.

To cut a long story short the coolant was empty by the time I got picked up by my girlfriend who also uses the car so immediately I poped into the shop to buy a bottle of water. After virtually taking a full 2 litres we made our journey back home. Later on Friday night as we prepared to go out I started the engine only for it to just click! No start up!

I immediately called out the breakdown service to be told it was the head gasket! Now as it had already been skimmed in the past - this cant be done again. But to add to the problem there was a part of the engine which was wet identifying some kind of leak although all pipes seem to be intact!

The recovery guys verdict was to either get a new car or a second hand engine and have this fitted! Does this sound right to you guys?

I really cant afford to get a new car at the moment, new or second hand nor do I want to be parted with my beloved Clio. Plus I dont like the idea of spending a couple of k on something which might brind me even more problems!

Other than a second hand engine, do I have any other options which I havent mentioned?

Also, how much would I expect to pay for the second hand engine option including labour?

Thanks in advance, Jo.

MK1 Clio 16v
That seems a bit of a drastic thing to mention to me.

I'd have a bit of a poke around yourself first of all to try and identify where the leak is coming from. By the sounds of things, it's using water VERY quickly. You need to find out where the water is going. Can you see water dripping out of the bottom of the engine? Look where the damp patch is.

Obviously if water is just vanishing with no explanation then it is probably a head gasket issue. How long ago was the head gasket changed? Check under the oil filler cap for mayo, if there's a lot in there then thats a bad sign. Also, fill up the coolant and run the engine and check for bubbles in the header tank.

Obviously to test all this you need the engine running. One thing i can suggest is to check your earth connection. I had a problem in my old valver where it didn't have a great earth connection, and if it wasn't connected properly then the engine would just 'click' and not actually start.

I would imagine a 1.4 engine wouldn't cost too much, and also wouldn't be too difficult to fit.

I'm no expert though..