ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Bent Con rods!!!

Ex Ph-Quick
Hi guys my induction kit managed to suck up a small river after going through a huge puddle during that bad weather the other day.

The guy at the garage says I have no compression on 3 cylinders and that the con rods are bend. =(

My options are new con rods or a new engine he tell's me is this the case if so whats the best thing to do? anyone got any ideas?

=(

K20 EG Hatch
I wouldnt bother trying to repair the engine, i'd just get a new engine out of a smashed up one personally, perfet excuse to get it modded though while its out ;)

172 Race Car
one of two reasons id never have a air intake near in the lower grill/fog light.

Get a second hand engine dropped in, then sell the fooked one for spares. thats what id do

Secondhand engine or a cheap new one from matt black would be my suggestion. Labour bill for a rebuild will be high so the difference in cost will be minimal or possibly none. Plus you'll have the peace of mind with a new lump of not worrying some moron has rebuilt the engine badly.

clio 200 F4Rt
have they stripped it down?

actually confirmed its a bent rod?

As that seems pretty wild to me!!

piston ring, bent valve yes, but a bent rod??

I would of thought the piston would get damaged befoer the rod did!

i have smashed enough valves in my time to know that a bit of metal in teh chamber will ruin a piston befoer it ruins a rod!

but anyways, if that is the case, i would just source a new lump or bottom end.

ValverInBits

i have smashed enough valves in my time to know that a bit of metal in teh chamber will ruin a piston befoer it ruins a rod!

I have heard of this before. Wrote off one of the engines in a company mondeo where i work.
Engine draws the water like it would air and then cant squeeze it on the compression stroke and so the rods bend.

Lionel Richie
if you've sucked up water you will 100% have bent rods

just replace the engine

yozza has 2 engines, i think he wants £500 a go

1.6 focus zetec....
^^ Good price.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but where would people suggest putting a cold air feed??

Someone who works for my dad drove through a flood in his maserati gran sport, sucked up water and new engine! Was something like £30,000 but he was able to claim on the insurance.

He hand to go on his hands and knees in his full suit trying to screw in the towing eye.
:eek:

Greg

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member

Who said about metal? it was water damage it can bend a valve due to them being closed at time of compression it bends the rod cos it cant compress the water. thus no compression cos the piston wont move up properly due to it being bent.
If that makes sense

LY 182
not entirely sure about the loss of compression as i would have thought the bent rod should cause the engine to lock up which would obviously mean they wouldnt know how much compression it has.
we changed 2 conrods on a jaguar v6 not long ago due to a similar situation

M

mini-valver

You will have no doubt bent a rod and knackered the rings mate. Quite a simple job TBH, it's if you've bent valves too that the bill gets silly......

LY 182
You will have no doubt bent a rod and knackered the rings mate. Quite a simple job TBH, it's if you've bent valves too that the bill gets silly......
one job is no more simple than the other the head has to come off to change the rods and even if its bent 8 valves its not going to add more than an hour to the labour.
valves cost a bit though

Hydraulic lock IMO (as people have said engine sucks in water and ties to compress it and a liquid doesnt compress. bent rods, knakred crank bearings etc.)

should be fixable but not cost effective. would look for a new engine mate.

M

mini-valver

one job is no more simple than the other the head has to come off to change the rods and even if its bent 8 valves its not going to add more than an hour to the labour.
valves cost a bit though

That's what I mean. Valves, stem seals, if it's knackered the guides, pressure check, skim etc etc

Ex Ph-Quick

It's being stripped down today so they can have a better look

if you've sucked up water you will 100% have bent rods

just replace the engine

yozza has 2 engines, i think he wants £500 a go

Whats the condition of them fred mate?

I know a guy on here who claimed on his insurance for a new engine.

Should claim for some f**king common sense as well. The levels of water people try to go through astound me, its a Clio not a Land Rover is it not obvious.

Nothing wrong with having it there.. the problem lies in driving through massive puddles :p

My point exactly!, do people not think? (obviously not lol)

Yeah it's real funny