ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help diagnose this issue!

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
The car: 52 plate MK2 1.2 16v Authentique

Known issues:

• Occasionally fails to start first time
  • White smoke whilst driving (+smells funny)
  • Occasional loss of power whilst driving
  • Possibly loosing coolant (see below)

My girlfriends Clio has started to gain the above issues.

Thursday night whilst looking under the bonnet I noticed the coolant looked very low, yesterday this was topped up - aprox. 1 litre was put in. This morning the car failed to start first time, again checked under the bonnet and noticed the coolant was once again extremely low(?). It was only driven a maximum of 2 miles since the coolant was topped up the night before, There were no obvious signs of it leaking on the drive. Once the car eventually started this morning, the exhaust pumped out a lot of white smoke which also smells funny. I've put some more coolant in so I will keep an eye on the level.

Any ideas? I fear head gasket? :(

Dan.

CursedTitanium 182FF
If you take the oil cap off, does it look like mayonnaise insides, all sludgy? (water and oil mixed)

CursedTitanium 182FF
Will be either blown head gasket, a damaged cylinder head, or a cracked engine block.
Get it looked over by a garage asap and don't drive it in the mean time or you could do even more damage.

2002 clio 172
When head gasket went on my old Clio, the heaters only blew cold air out. Guessing that's a sign?

Mayo under the cap is normal on a 1.2, They all have it. Not a sure fire sign of HG.

As for the coolant dropping, if you let it go too low and air gets in the system then its normal for the level to drop again after you top up, as all the air comes to the top. Take it for a good drive then fill it up again, If it drops again its using coolant.

Take it for drive and then feel the coolant hoses when the its hot, If they feel really hard then its pressurising the coolant system and its probably HG

The symptoms you mention do sound like HG

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll try some of the things suggested but I think I will have to get a garage to take a look.

If it is HG I'm guessing its game over? She only paid about £999 for it I think, so it wouldn't be worth it?