ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help diagnosing a fault, tried many things!

Flooky

ClioSport Club Member
  172 CUP, D23 Navara
2 years of happy motoring has come to an end! This morning I was on my way into Cheltenham when the car all of a sudden started running rough, lost all the power. I checked for codes with an ECU reader which was in the car at the time and it was showing a fault with the Knock Sensor. I new the knock sensor was half hanging off so I just happen to be right outside of a scrap yard which I new there was a Ph2 172. In I went and took the knock sensor along with HT leads and coil pack. I decided to fit the knock sensor on the side of the road and clear the ECU of any faults.

Well, the car ran better but still didn't feel it had any power, decided to go home and think some more on it. Then it started misfiring and the revs would hold at 4k and not go any higher. Got the car home and took the plugs out to find cylinder 3 spark plug was as black as it could be, other 3 plugs looked alright. The plugs were fitted 12 months ago and I kept the old ones so I replaced just the one bad plug. All back together and the car is the same, then changed the leads, then the coil pack will still no improvement.

Hour later drove to a friends where the car ran rough but not misfiring, tried his MAP sensor and it was the same, rough but no misfire. Then we could smell rotten eggs and blipping the engine the odd pop from the exhaust. Same thing with my old MAP sensor back in. Drove home after realising it must be over fuelling. Changed the coolant temp sensor with an old one I had and still no difference.

Decided todo the onboard diagnostic and the letter h comes up, (Oil Pressure Switch?) Pulled the plug off which made no difference.

Then decided to unplug each injector at a time whilst on tick over and the engine sounded different every time.

Re did the onboard diagnostic and now t & h comes up which I believe is an injection fault due to me unplugging the injectors.

The car no longer smells of eggs however is still misfiring and holding back when it decides it wants too.

Only thing left to change is the injectors and lambda sensor!

Anyone have any other thoughts?

On a separate note I'm about to replace the dephaser next week as its been making a noise for awhile now, also listening to the centre of the upper inlet there seems to be a different noise coming from that area which isn't like the dephaser noise. Possible lifters need replacing too?

Car is now sounding like a tractor, oh forgot to mention the engine management light came on for 30 secs last week but since has not been on? :(

Flooky

ClioSport Club Member
  172 CUP, D23 Navara
I work for GSF and are able to get genuine parts but I don't want to be throwing money at it buying new parts when their not causing the fault!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
egg smell suggests cat/lambda sensors. tried swapping the sensors around?

Flooky

ClioSport Club Member
  172 CUP, D23 Navara
I've managed to get a working lambda so will try that today. Hate changing these things as they never wanna come undone!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
egg smell suggests cat/lambda sensors. tried swapping the sensors around?

Egg smell is normally unburnt fuel entering the CAT rather than the CAT itself... More likely to be an ignition or injection fault

BMW M135i
Compression test also worth a pop, but more unlikely due to how it manifested itself in an instant.

Flooky

ClioSport Club Member
  172 CUP, D23 Navara
Turned out to be a duff injector! All back to normal and even better than I remember it to be lol.

Cheers for the help guys :)