ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP ... Gearbox whine

Clio 182 FF
Ladies and Gents

I am new to the forum and would like to say hello before I Get down to my problem.

So I have recently bought (two weeks ago) a Clio 182 FF with 55k miles. The car is a looker, and real joy to drive!! But she has developed a whining noise, I didn’t notice it before but I am hoping that the noise is normal for the car.
I point out that I don’t drive the car like I stole it…

I noticed the noise last night on my drive home when coming to a roundabout changing down gears (5th to 4th then to 3rd and 2nd). The car seems to whine when letting the clutch up.

There is no noise when accelerating nor when cornering, only on deceleration and in neutral clutch engaged or disengaged, it seems to get louder (when in neutral) as the speeds builds up going down a hill.

My question is this, is this the cause of a gearbox bearing on the way out or could a simple gearbox oil change do the job ?

The clutch doesn’t judder when pulling away and the gear changes are nice and tight with no crunches, there is no movement on the gear stick when in gear under acceleration.

Looking forward to your replies :grinning:

renault clio 1.4 16v
hi and welcome to the forum

id check the oil level first of all, the selector seals have a habit of leaking...
if its low you can try topping it up however wining noises on overrun could lead to a box re-build if it is the box... normally the syncros give up before anything else, so it might just be running low on juice

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm definitely not an expert but for how simple and cheap it is, it wouldn't do any harm changing the gearbox oil, especially if it's never been changed. At least you could rule one thing out.

RB 182 FF
For how cheap and easy it is to change the oil every 15k miles or annually isn't asking too much, these boxes are crap and regular oil changes will help! I've just had a brand new box and intend to change it annually to get the longest life possible out of it!:up:

As for your issue I can't really help, a video of it might help the experts on here to diagnose it...

Clio 182 FF
Good evening,
Thank you for your replies, it's a real help !
The last service was done 8 months (9k miles) ago, I have ordered gearbox oil and will do a full service at the same time, the parts should arrive friday morning, so it looks like my afternoon is already planned.

That is very true, an annual oil change really isn't a big grudge, and a 10 min job.

I will keep you all up to date once the oil change is done.

Thanks again !!

Clio 182 FF
Hi Guys,
I have done my gearbox oil change and there is no more noise :smiley::smiley:!! I was very surprised by the colour of the oil that drained out... really dark, almost black but its now sorted :wink:

Top tip for the copper washer, I would of been right up Sh*t street
Big thanks to everyone for the help !! :up:

RB Clio 182
Hi Guys,
I have done my gearbox oil change and there is no more noise :smiley::smiley:!! I was very surprised by the colour of the oil that drained out... really dark, almost black but its now sorted :wink:

Top tip for the copper washer, I would of been right up Sh*t street
Big thanks to everyone for the help !! :up:

Thats brilliant news mate, its amazing what a bit of lube can do :)

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
My gearbox had trouble going from 2nd to 3rd at high revs and was notchy after the oil was changed, I re changed it with the oil from Renault made a huge difference, done a track day and still fine

Clio 182 FF
My gearbox had trouble going from 2nd to 3rd at high revs and was notchy after the oil was changed, I re changed it with the oil from Renault made a huge difference, done a track day and still fine
I get the feeling if these boxes are well looked after, i.e. Regular oil changes and properly warmed before high rpm gear changes, they will past the test of time...
Just a shame we can't say the same about the rattling plastics in the car .