ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help, Green Gunk!!

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R
Just took my front drivers side wheel off for one last clean for the winter. All in the inside off the alloy was this green gunk type oil stuff, it was all over the caliper aswell. Seamed to be a big build up mainly on the caliper its self.

Ive just had coilovers fitted but they still spotless, anybody any ideas what this could be? My coilovers aren't that low either.

Cheers

Titanium 182
Check your CV boot it's probably split and slung grease everywhere, will need replacing and repacking with grease.

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R
Is this something i could do myself or best leaving it to the garage? Also, is it ok to drive like this?

Titanium 182
Could potentially knackered driveshaft if you drive it as it's got no grease on it. Easier to get a garage to do it but you could do it yourself. Get the rubber boot from Renault and a jubilee clip.
Take the old one off clean everything up pack the new boot with grease and jubilee clip it on.

For how messy it is easier just to pay a garage £50ish to do it.

(This is providing this is the problem I can't imagine it been anything else, have you got any pictures of it ? have a close look at the rubber boot for splits)

172 with k-tec sound
it wouldnt be no, well not for an extended period of time any way, u need to sort it asap.

Easy enough to do but CV grease is horrible stuff. I wouldn't leave it too long before getting it done - wet roads + grit and crap off said roads = grinding paste leading to knacked CV joint!!

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R
Ok cheers for the advice, think a trip to RSMurray tomorrow to sort it is on the cards.....

clio 172
i got quoted £250 for cv boot 2 be replaced as they said its a 2 and a half hour job done it my self in the end

Have to say, RSMurray are quite expensive. Dan, go round the corner to the road between the one RSMurray is off, through the field up to the main road, there is a garage on the left there called Headingley Lane Garage or something. Good people.

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R
Already dropped it off, will maybe have to try there sometime JD. RSMurray have always done a top notch job with whatever it is the cars been in for, so i'm abit reluctant to go elsewhere......will see in the morning how much it will be.

ITB'd MK1
it's highly likely to be a broken clip. Very common problem which can be sorted with a £3 clip and 30-45 minutes work to clean up and re-grease. It's common practice to use a jubilee clip too as cable ties cannot be done tight enough for the plastic (not soft rubber) boot

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
it's highly likely to be a broken clip. Very common problem which can be sorted with a £3 clip and 30-45 minutes work to clean up and re-grease. It's common practice to use a jubilee clip too as cable ties cannot be done tight enough for the plastic (not soft rubber) boot

Yeah, worth doing it right as a cable tie will fail the MOT. Cost me £2.50 for 2 bands ands a tenner for the right tool to do them. Could probably use big ass jubilees instead but I felt like doing it properly!

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R
Well not getting the car back until Thursday, apparently the drive shaft is slightly bent aswell. Been told its because ive lowered the coilovers!?!?!? Does this mean that everytime i adjust the coillies i will bend a driveshaft? Slightly annoyed!!

Last edited:
  ibiza cupra
Well not getting the car back until Thursday, apparently the drive shaft is slightly bent aswell. Been told its because ive lowered the coilovers!?!?!? Does this mean that everytime i adjust the coillies i will bend a driveshaft? Slightly annoyed!!
wouldnt you feel the front of the car bobbing up and down if the drive shafts were bent ?

Iceberg Ph1
I would assume you'd feel a pretty obvious vibration through the steering wheel and the car if the shaft(s) where bent, pretty sure you'd hear a odd noise also! Something don't add up, and putting collies on a car does not tend to bend shafts either :S