ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP- Locking Wheel Nuts

I had two new tyres fitted at the weekend at a garage over 150 miles away from where I live when I was visting friends at the weekend. I left the locking wheel nut at the garage. I phoned the garage up today and they say they do not have it!!!!! Went into my local Renault garage today and they said I needed the code from my service book to order a new one. Looked in my service book and no code. Renault dealer checked and said if I did not have a code then they would have to cut off the locking wheel nuts at a cost of £200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Doh! Try one of two things get a socket that just smaller than the locking nut. (Your gonna brake it so dont use a good one!!) And use a hammer to try get in round the locking nut.

Secondly do you know someone with a welder? A mig may not be strong enough. But if you were going to use a welder you will need to watch it dont dammage your wheels.

Infact I do know someone that used a chissle, it took a while but slowly bit by bit of the nut came off!

Not sure if youll be up for any of these but its worth a shot let us know how you get on!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Or take it to a local garage (not your dealer) and get them to take the bolts out - most will do this for far less than £200. Replace the Renault bolts with some McGuard ones - about £30 a set.

But have a bloody good look in your glovebox / toolkit first!!

The ones that came on my 172 are McGaurd, by all accounts they are very difficult to remove (which is the point of them after all)

Steve, have you checked all the manuals and the card holder slots in the handbook folder?

My code was in a box in the boot along with the standard wheel bolts along with 2 unlocking keys

320d M Sport

i cant believe that every 172 lockin nut is different? why dont u try loads of peoples from here?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Lucky for me the garage that fitted the tyres have found the key and are posting it to me.

Important lesson learnt, always make a note of the code on the locking wheel nut key. Even with the code, according to Renault, a new key takes four weeks to arrive from Italy!!!

Thanks again

Steve

why didnt you use the other key seeing as there are two? also did you give them the box that the code was on? I thought that security place has the code aswell as your radio code....carnt remember the name - one that uses the code on your windows