ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help me before I beat my car!

Clio extreme 1.2
I've only had the car three weeks, just got insurance and thought everything was sorted. Last week the engine started rolling when idle then got worse and cut out when i was driving. Popped a new coil pack on and it was fine for a day, then after a little run out today the electrical fault light came on again and the rolling started up again. The light is only intermittent.
It's a clio extreme 1.2, does anyone have any suggestions before I go mental.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
On idle the car surges and drops as though its gaining and losing power, but after taking it to a garage it seems the air intake manifold is cracked and seeping air in or something so the engines flooded with air and not enough petrol to compensate. (sorry just replying on her behalf)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The other term is 'hunting'.

So for example on tickover, 1500rpm, 900rpm, 1500rpm, 900rpm and so on. Like an extermely lumpy idle.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Right an update to this thread. This car is driving us both mental!! The garage we bought it from have conducted repairs (allegedly a new intake manifold) and have said the car is now fixed and any more repairs will b at our expense. Well guess what. Cars still fucked. I'm running out of ideas and am at the end of my tether. Car is still "rolling" on idle and when pulling up to a stop and if anything its getting worse. Managed to video the symptoms on my phone todAy, can someone tell me how to upload it to here so you can all have a look?

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Yeah I gave it a full service the other week. Also gave it a new coil pack and leads too. Still no good.

Could it be any of the following:-
MAP sensor fault
Lambda fault
ICV fault
A dirty throttle body

I can't think of anything else!!

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Yeah that showed faults in the map and lamdas. And a strange code that is somehow linked to the throttle .-/

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Send a pm to the following...

MicKPM
fred@btm
sidewaysdanny
SBV116

One of thos ugly fcukers will help you.

Mondeo TDCI 130
At a guess, i would be going down the throttle body route, but that is a total guess, obviously mega hard to judge, not looking at it etc! Have changed several in the past though.

I had the throttle potentiometer track code and have fitted a new pedal and it has been fine for months now mine never revved though so maybe it's a different problem.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Let me know how you get on as my other half's 1.2 is doing the same... seems to be the change of weather as it was almost non-existent during Summer. Its had another Coil pack in there...I would do the TB, but its on the inside of the engine...and don't want to pull the 1.2 apart as I don't know the engine and would hate to f**k it up (ie pay for any damage I cause!)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
After seeing the video i think it may be a TB fault or possibly an Ho2 issue. It may even be something simple like its gunked up in nasty breather oil crud and it needs de-greasing. Difficult to prove without seeing (obviously) but its as if the TB is struggling to keep the idle condition. If you can bring it to Notts one day this week i'll gladly sort it for you.

Cost wise it would be £35 for the CLIP to come out and do some basic checks and then move on to some in depth conformity checks on the basic running systems such as Ho2 and cat function, TB actuation, wiring check, etc. After that i'd be in a much better position to advise on fixing it for you.

Mick

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
After seeing the video i think it may be a TB fault or possibly an Ho2 issue. It may even be something simple like its gunked up in nasty breather oil crud and it needs de-greasing. Difficult to prove without seeing (obviously) but its as if the TB is struggling to keep the idle condition. If you can bring it to Notts one day this week i'll gladly sort it for you.

Cost wise it would be £35 for the CLIP to come out and do some basic checks and then move on to some in depth conformity checks on the basic running systems such as Ho2 and cat function, TB actuation, wiring check, etc. After that i'd be in a much better position to advise on fixing it for you.

Mick

That's fantastic mate..... Where exactly are you and we can get something worked out :)

Clio 172 Cup
I know nothing about these cars, slowly learning as it shifts from one fault to the next LOL but Cosworths were notorious for having that same issue (hunting at idle) which was the Idle Speed Control valve on them, usually could be fixed by cleaning the ISCV but sometimes needed replacing.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
No IACV on these, the throttle body is stepper controlled... similar principal though except idle condition is set/controlled by the ECM. As above, could indeed just need a clean but its the random factor that makes me think otherwise.

Mick

Clio 172 Cup
No IACV on these, the throttle body is stepper controlled... similar principal though except idle condition is set/controlled by the ECM. As above, could indeed just need a clean but its the random factor that makes me think otherwise.

Mick
Thanks for the info Mick, and yes, a very good point about it being random, with Cossies they were like that until rectified so maybe more to it as you say mate.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Right, have cleaned and fully degreased throttle body and engine does feel smoother now but electrical fault and the hunting engine are still present.
Also I'm fairly convinced that the manifold has not been changed as per what the dealer said had been. Looks like they just put new bolts in tbqfh.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Throotle body, they are over £300 now iirc, did my mums a few weeks back.

looms are common, as are the throttle pedal looms, theres a repair kit for this, needs clip really.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Afraid not... its one less thing for people to fight over and abuse.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
New update. Car is now hunting much worse :( to the point where It stalled then wouldn't fire back up for nearly 5 mins. Just spluttered and wouldn't hold revs!! Also found a water pool around the oil cap when I took it off. Mopped that up and drove it home and it behaved itself then but no doubt will start up again :-/ mick deffo need to come see you I think!! Just need to work out best day to come down!

OK changing the intake manifold by the look and sounds of it won't chnage anything.
Being as thats there attitude the dealers i'd take the car back and reject it if you can as its very poor attitude.

As for fixing the car the throttle body which possible doesn't make me think that i'd be looking at the loom/ecu for problems should easy eenought to tell though fiddle about with them when you have the engine running see if you cna get it to stop doing it/chnage and if not them possible not the wires.

a clip check should help sort give you an idea

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Managed to get this sorted yet mate?

Mines doing the exact same thing and was thinking of trying a few bits before taking it to Mick.