ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me choose a camera

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Had my Samsung GX10 for almost a year but never got on with it. It was my first SLR camera and I bought it because it was on promotion, it taught me that I really need to try them out properly in the shops first. Anyway, I sold it today for close to what I paid for it and am looking to get a new DSLR.

Currently looking at the Canon eos 450D and 500D, I must say i prefer the screen on the 500 and the movie mode should come in useful, and considering after cash back the price difference is only £50 it seems logical to go for the 500D, plus it has a better sensor/processor.

I like the Canon's, especially as their lens IS system seems to work better than my Samsungs body IS system. But someone mentioned today to take a look at the Nikon's, so just looking for peoples opinions. Not tried a Nikon out in the shops yet but will do tomorrow.

Which models should I be considering and if you had to do it again what would you go for?

Budget of somewhere around £500 after cash back, have considered waiting until post xmas sales but the 500D already seems to be on good promotions atm, although I can imagine the 450D will drop a bit. Would be nice to have it for xmas though.

Cheers
Mike

Ian

Focus TDCi
450d is a very good camera and don't let anyone tell you any different! However, if you have the money to get the 500d I would probably go for it, I think. It depends what your plans/budget are for lenses. You're actually not far off the price of a 50d there, or even a 40d if you can find one. They're all excellent cameras anyway.

Hold/shoot with/fiddle with menus with a Nikon and a Canon.

Then buy whichever you're happier with. They're both brilliant. But when buying you're first it really does come down to how it feels in your hands.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

Then buy whichever you're happier with. They're both brilliant. But when buying you're first it really does come down to how it feels in your hands.
Done this with the canon, feels great to be honest, excellent menu structure too compared to my Samsung. Just need to try a Nikon tomorrow.

As for plans, well i'll see how it goes, its just a bit of a mess around at the moment, if I become into it then anything is possible. To begin with i'll get a kit lens, then probably a 50mm soon as I did like my pentax 50mm, just didnt like the manual focus on it.

I'll always be a Canon boy I think, prefer they way they hold, and like the layout of the menus etc.

I have the 450D Mike, and I've found it the perfect entrance to DLSRs, won't be stepping up for a while, mainly due to costs, but this will be more the adequate until I decide to step up.

I'll always be a Canon boy I think, prefer they way they hold, and like the layout of the menus etc.

Ditto, except the other way around! Lol. Which is a shame because I wish there was a Nikon version of the L series.

I think once you've had one for a while and you're used to it, it's even harder to change.

Tomato, tomato.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Ditto, except the other way around! Lol. Which is a shame because I wish there was a Nikon version of the L series.

I think once you've had one for a while and you're used to it, it's even harder to change.

Tomato, tomato.

Aye, as capable as your old 40D was I just couldn't get on with it. Love my Canon, just the fact that I'm crap at it that lets it down! Lol!

Tomato, tomato.

Potato, Potato. ;)

A silver Honda

+1

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Well I like your pics greg, but a quick flick through revels flickr shows equally good shots.

Will be trying the Nikon out tomorrow before i predictably buy the Canon :rasp:

LOL! 9/10 it's down to the user too, some people have all the gear no idea as they say and produce nothing, where as some have point and shoots and get some great results.

Motorbikes
Canon 450D.

But it all depends what feels best in you're hands, as otherwise there isn't much in it between Nikon/Canon. I have a Canon 400D, didnt bother looking at Nikons but after having a play with my mates Nikon D40 or 60, it felt small and horrible to hold.

Guy at work has a Nikon and D300, and it is luuuush.

Well I like your pics greg, but a quick flick through revels flickr shows equally good shots.

Will be trying the Nikon out tomorrow before i predictably buy the Canon :rasp:

Lol. I wouldn't base it on that.

What either of us have done could easily be re-done with the other persons camera. It might not feel as easy and the menu/settings might be strange to start with but it's do-able.

The only factor that will stop you getting a shot like BillyBob is you. Oh and whatever lens.. ;)

Cupra
I love Nikon but keep on finding reasons to stick with Canon. As pointed out several times already, it comes down to what you feel more comfortable with.

The 500 is definitely worth the extra over the 450, but both are very capable cameras.

Have you thought about looking at 2nd hand? You can get some bargains and then you get to use equipment that would normally be way above budget.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
LOL! 9/10 it's down to the user too, some people have all the gear no idea as they say and produce nothing, where as some have point and shoots and get some great results.

Lol. I wouldn't base it on that.

What either of us have done could easily be re-done with the other persons camera. It might not feel as easy and the menu/settings might be strange to start with but it's do-able.

The only factor that will stop you getting a shot like BillyBob is you. Oh and whatever lens.. ;)

Thats sort of what i was getting at by saying both camera's produce equally good shot, all about the user and all that.

Anyway, got the canon today and already much happier with it, I dont think it takes better pictures that my Samsung did if you gave it to a pro but it is simpler for a noob to take decent shots. Thats all I discovered until the battery gave in after 15 mins and its now on full charge.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Which Canon?

But yey! Another Canon boy.
500D, couldn't really find any deals worth getting online so got it with a free bag and a suspect lens cleaning kit from Jessops as I really wanted in for xmas.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You chose Canon?

Nevermind :dapprove:
Lol

Also very impressed with Jessops, let me handle all the camera's, plenty of staff, all camera's fully charged and ready to go and friendly knowledgeable staff (even had some of the staff's pictures printed out to show me), not like I expected a chain to be.

Originally started at my local camera shop, but he was very bitter towards nikon and canon since he said they wouldn't offer him the deals they offer the chains so he sacked them off and went to Samsung/Pentax. He insisted all Canon and Nikons were poor quality and said I should of stuck to Samsung, took me 10 minutes to get away from the lecture.

Edit: Disappointed it didn't include the HDMI cable, especially since its an uncommon connection.