ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me sort out my NAT type.

So everytime I play on COD Blops on my xbox, it is saying that my NAT type is set to Strict.
This is having an effect on my gaming, as it doesnt connect to some people (annoying when you try to join a party) and is causing me to have shitter scores, due to laggy shooting and poorer hit detection etc?!.

I have opened up all the ports in my router that XBL recommend, which made my NAT type turn to Open for about a day. In which time, I was absolutely raping everyone!
But it has since turned back to Strict and the gaming is back to how it was?!!?

Are there any other steps to do? Ive googled this many a times but it all says the same thing. Open the ports or set up with a static IP adresss. I cannot do the latter as my PS3 takes up the only slot which is allowed for a static IP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated?!!? :eek:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I tried and failed on my ps3 mate, i'm just not technically minded enough! All that port forwarding s**t! It was just random numbers. I tried the static IP and failed. It told me to guess a number higher than the one before and it didn't work! :(

I do have a stunning connection though so gaming isn't a problem just parties are the problem.

Tesla MP3 2021
You need to assign a static IP to the PS3 and setup the port forwarding for that static IP within the router. So you have previously opened the ports but you werent on a static IP with PS3 so the address has probably changed as its DHCP.

Also depends on the router. Some routers let you assign the MAC address rather than the IP address, so your PS3's MAC will never change so its just another way of forwarding the ports. If the ports are open and the PS3 is seen correctly by your router then you should never have an issue.

Tesla MP3 2021
Sorry, just read the last part of the post properly.

What router do you have??, as the majority, well the ones I have used give plenty of IP addresses in the DHCP range - 50+ e.g 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149 etc

You need to assign a static IP to the PS3 and setup the port forwarding for that static IP within the router. So you have previously opened the ports but you werent on a static IP with PS3 so the address has probably changed as its DHCP.

Also depends on the router. Some routers let you assign the MAC address rather than the IP address, so your PS3's MAC will never change so its just another way of forwarding the ports. If the ports are open and the PS3 is seen correctly by your router then you should never have an issue.
Ive done the static IP for the PS3... It is my Xbox that is now the problem.
The xbox seems to be assigned with the same IP everytime I go online anyway, so when opening ports, I put the IP as the same, which did work, but now it doesnt, even though the IP is still the same.

Would assigning a MAC address to the xbox solve this? I cant assign another IP, due to the PS3 taking up that slot.
If so, how is this done?

what router do you have mate?
Belkin N Wireless Router.

Sorry, just read the last part of the post properly.

What router do you have??, as the majority, well the ones I have used give plenty of IP addresses in the DHCP range - 50+ e.g 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149 etc

Belkin Wireless N Router.

My xbox is always assigned 192.168.2.20 as its IP, everytime I go online (even though its not set as that).
My PS3's IP is set up as 192.168.2.50 iirc.

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
lol massive reading fail on my part.

Well if the 360's address never changes then I cant see why it would suddenly go back to a strict NAT if the correct ports and assigned device are forwarded to XBL.

Tesla MP3 2021
Does this router have DMZ at all, that could be another test. Basically DMZ would open up all ports to a IP or MAC you assign in the router.

Clio RS 182
Im guessing another device is connecting to the router which is then altering the XB's IP, try restarting the router and connecting to XBL before connecting anything else to the internet.

Does this router have DMZ at all, that could be another test. Basically DMZ would open up all ports to a IP or MAC you assign in the router.
Yes it does, but the slot of that is taken up by my PS3 (assigned a static Ip to that, as I was having similar issues on that ages ago)
Im guessing another device is connecting to the router which is then altering the XB's IP, try restarting the router and connecting to XBL before connecting anything else to the internet.
It shouldnt be tbh... When im on the xbox, there isnt usually anybody else connected to the internet and even when ive got my MacBook on and then play on the xbox, it has assigned the same IP iirc. But I will try this when I go online later, just incase.

Tesla MP3 2021
Has the router got DHCP reservation, this may help, but again I cant understand why it wouldnt work if the correct address is being port forwarded.

Yes it does, but the slot of that is taken up by my PS3 (assigned a static Ip to that, as I was having similar issues on that ages ago)

Without sounding like an eejit here, why not just swap them about? Unless you play both at the same time?

Has the router got DHCP reservation, this may help, but again I cant understand why it wouldnt work if the correct address is being port forwarded.

It has DHCP Client List option, under "LAN Setup"... But this is just telling me the IP's which connect to the router and their Mac address?
Which confirms that my xbox has the 192.168.2.2 IP, with my Macbook having .3 and the PS having .5

Oh and buying another router cant really be an option ;)

Without sounding like an eejit here, why not just swap them about? Unless you play both at the same time?

I havent done this because then im guessing that I will just have the same problem with the PS3, so will still be in the same boat.
And its not just a 2 second switch, you have to change all the network settings within the PS3 iirc, router and then xbox.

Tesla MP3 2021
I have never had a Belkin router so cant really comment in detail. It may be something to do with the ports you have forwarded.
How does it work on the Belkin, does it use a wizard to setup the ports, is there preset options i.e Xbox live which you just pick or do you have to do eveything manaully.

If the IP's arent changing then I doubt the issue lies there, try clearing all of the port forward settings and starting again.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
i had the same problem once mate.
go onto the settings for your router on your computer. make sure your xbox is connected still then find you xbox under connections under your computer you should see a part about the ip being the same lock the ip adress to stay the same and the problem is sorted. well it was for me anyway.
sorry about the brief description there is guides on google though have a search if that doesnt help mate

Think I may have sorted it now. Ive just assigned my Xbox with another IP (.222) and then changed the port forwarding options and DMZ within the router to this.

Ports are now open. It looks like everytime I want to play a game on the PS3 which involves online play, im going to have to log into my router and change the settings back :S

Atleast I might be able to play COD properly now though!

Tesla MP3 2021
I have a fairly new Linksys router and I can assign multlple devices to different port forwarding rules and one device to DMZ.
Great piece of kit to use :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Go out and drive your girly car ffs.

XBOX is the future!
You own a clio?

^That's a question by the way.

Also it's common knowledge that the 360 is old tech, even the fan bois will tell you this!

Clio RS 182
You own a clio?

^That's a question by the way.

Also it's common knowledge that the 360 is old tech, even the fan bois will tell you this!

I do, thats why im on here.

Whether its old tech or not, the xbox is on par with the ps3 and bringing out stuff like the kinect. They are also alot cheaper than a PS3.

Tbh im just trying to wind up the PS3 fanboys

Whether its old tech or not, the xbox is on par with the ps3 and bringing out stuff like the kinect. They are also alot cheaper than a PS3.
PS3's are the better console imo. Ive only got an Xbox as alot of my friends have one, so I basically bought it for the online play.
The amount of kids on XBL can piss me off at times aswell (especially the ones who feel the need to shout all game on COD or camp in corners, FUUUU).

Clio RS 182
PS3's are the better console imo. Ive only got an Xbox as alot of my friends have one, so I basically bought it for the online play.
The amount of kids on XBL can piss me off at times aswell (especially the ones who feel the need to shout all game on COD or camp in corners, FUUUU).

In your opinion yes, but i see more value for my money in an xbox, but thats my opinion, either way if you get rid of one it'll sort your problem out.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I do, thats why im on here.

You own a clio and you think an FRP is a girls car. Think about that for a second, take it all in. Then realise what you just said.

The ps3 is more expensive for a reason, buy a 360 and a blu-ray and find out mate.

I loved my xbox, PGR3/4 are still 2 of the most enjoyable games i've evr played but as a console it's not near as good as the ps3, not by a long way. I'm buying another xbox aswell.
Oh and Kinect don't make me laugh, how long has the wii been out now? It's an amazing piece of tech but so was the wii.

DCi
um, ive played with you, careful now :rasp: