ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Networks and DHCP's... A little advice, please.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Morning all. This might be a little long winded, but will hopefully make sense.

The in-laws have a rather large bungalow and The router/modem is almost at one end and the main PC / Camera hub/recorder is at the other.

But, in effect, I have duplicated my system I have at home (to a point) and given 4 cameras and the camera server (Recorder - that's a Brix PC on W10) a static IP each.

192.168.1.90 to 94. 5 Devices.

Now, his router was originally a BT Hub 3.0 (Complete aids) and it's just been "upgraded" to a BT Hub 6 (as the 3.0 died over Xmas).

Now, the router has EVERYTHING connected wirelessly - as the 4 cameras, the server and his main PC are connected to a POE 8 port hub - which is connected to a TP-Link repeater (TL-WA850RE - which does the job perfectly.

I have had a little bother in the BT hub settings, but think it's sussed... I have set the DHCP range from 192.168.1.95 to 192.168.1.253 and turned off Authoritative DHCP (as some devices appeared to be forcing a Static connection).

I assume this is now all correct, as I am getting solid records, solid streaming to the app for the cameras and all the interwebz are fine? I keep the Statics out of the DHCP pool, don't I?

Cheers.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Yep, keep the statics out of scope to avoid any conflicts.
Cheers fella. It's the Statics that are popping up oddly in the DHCP pool that I'm now trying to get my nogging around. Also a Mac address that's not even taking an IP address. But, it's all working fine :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers fella. It's the Statics that are popping up oddly in the DHCP pool that I'm now trying to get my nogging around. Also a Mac address that's not even taking an IP address. But, it's all working fine :)
The MAC address that has no IP is possibly the switch you’re using. If it’s a non managed switch then it won’t get an IP.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
The MAC address that has no IP is possibly the switch you’re using. If it’s a non managed switch then it won’t get an IP.
Did consider that - kept it on as it's not doing owt to harm anything. :)

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Personally id drop your DHCP scope size wise. Never going to have 200 devices connected on dhcp at once really.

Plus then you can assign your static ips away from the scope and then its never going to interfere.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Personally id drop your DHCP scope size wise. Never going to have 200 devices connected on dhcp at once really.

Plus then you can assign your static ips away from the scope and then its never going to interfere.
Exactly what I have done - seems to be working perfectly right now, too.

340i

Exactly what I have done - seems to be working perfectly right now, too.

That would have been my suggestion!

Job jobbed.