ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Misfire help needed urgently please!

Racing Blue 182
Hi all,

I need some help, so following this thread:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?682478-Remap-advise-please!!

I thought that the problems were due to the exhaust (had a decatted yozza) so I have changed it back to the system I had before! It turns out Chip etc. think it might be due to a crap coilpack or injectors.

However, after changing the exhaust, the exhaust light is still on and flashing, and my mechanic (I haven't seen it yet) has said it is idling worse than before and running worse than before, really lumpy and shaky on idle and a lumpy ride!

Why hasn't the light gone off if the cat etc. is back on?

And what to do about the potentially broken coilpack or injectors as money is tight and I have heard it is expensive! Danlp6 kindly said he'd have a look for me but I cannot visit until next weekend (conflicting 'freeness') but I need this car to get me to work! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Luke

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its not expensive to sort if its coilpack or injectors, Danlp6 has offered to do it for free, and it wont cost you more than 20 quid in secondhand parts.

If you can limp it over to Taunton this Sunday I can take a look at it for you (am in london till thursday and got trackday fri/sat), Ive got spares we can swap on (from my own car) to be sure of what the issue is, then you will know what you need to buy for Dan to fit for you, TBH once you see how easy it all is to swap about (probably get my mrs to do it as im quite busy but she can still talk you through what she is doing) you are unlikely to even need Dan's help, its really easy.

Racing Blue 182
Its not expensive to sort if its coilpack or injectors, Danlp6 has offered to do it for free, and it wont cost you more than 20 quid in secondhand parts.

If you can limp it over to Taunton this Sunday I can take a look at it for you (am in london till thursday and got trackday fri/sat), Ive got spares we can swap on (from my own car) to be sure of what the issue is, then you will know what you need to buy for Dan to fit for you, TBH once you see how easy it all is to swap about (probably get my mrs to do it as im quite busy but she can still talk you through what she is doing) you are unlikely to even need Dan's help, its really easy.
It's a bit of a mission to get to Taunton, I dunno if it'll be ok to drive that far! Thanks for the reassurance but really I need the car for work tomorrow! I don't know where to get spare parts from quickly around here and I won't be able to do the work myself!

I just don't know what to do about getting it sorted ASAP. I know I might be over reacting a bit but I know nothing about cars and it just worries me coz I don't know what's wrong. Thanks Chip. I will take you up on your offer if its not sorted by Sunday, I just don't wanna drive it! :/

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
First one to check is that the plug leads are pushed onto the coilpack properly. That doesnt require any parts.

Racing Blue 182
My mechanic is checking the leads and plugs etc now. Anything else to check if they are fine? Thanks for the help Chip!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Without a decent diagnostics like a snap-on or an rs tuner, he is going to struggle I suspect.

Really the only way to check a coilpack or injectors is to swap them.

Crank position sensor can cause misfires especially at idle too, but no way to check it really other than swapping again.

Racing Blue 182
Without a decent diagnostics like a snap-on or an rs tuner, he is going to struggle I suspect.

Really the only way to check a coilpack or injectors is to swap them.

Crank position sensor can cause misfires especially at idle too, but no way to check it really other than swapping again.
Ok thanks. I'm gonna have a think. I have an update. He checked the plugs and he said that the Number 4 spark plug (closest to the oil filler cap) was really black when he took it out like it hasn't been firing properly (they've only been in a day or so and the other ones were clean!) He put the old leads back on to see if there was a dodgy connection between them and its still running the same as it was! Does this point towards anything? Thanks again.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its just one plug doing that, then either the injector or lead on that cylinder, if its 1 and 4 then the coilpack.

(coilpack is 2 coils, one for 1 and 4 and one for 2 and 3)

Racing Blue 182
If its just one plug doing that, then either the injector or lead on that cylinder, if its 1 and 4 then the coilpack.

(coilpack is 2 coils, one for 1 and 4 and one for 2 and 3)
Ok. So like I said it seems like it was just number 4. But my mates gonna check again tomorrow. Thinking of trying to source a coilpack from the scrappy or something to test (before buying a brand new one if it sorts it!). Is it worth trying to coilpack if I can get one for next to nothing? Where's the best place to get an injector cheap if its just that one? Thanks.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best option is to park next to a working one and start swapping bits really. (with the owners consent I mean!)

If you get parts from a scrappy you dont know if they work either!

Racing Blue 182
Best option is to park next to a working one and start swapping bits really. (with the owners consent I mean!)

If you get parts from a scrappy you dont know if they work either!
Yeah that is true. Shame there's noone near with the same car haha! That I know anyway lol. So annoying!

172 cup (again)
I had these issues 2 weeks ago, management light flashing and then stuck on, car wouldn't rev clean, huge misfire with it sounding like a Subaru. I looked on here and was 99% certain it was an injector fault - I have AA home start so called them out to use their fault reader which showed a fault with injector number 4 (nearest the drivers side). I got him to clear the code and remove the fuel rail guard (2 10mm nuts with long socket) and then loosen the injector rail (2 10mm nuts) ready for fitting a new injector or rail. I picked up a complete 2nd hand rail from a running 172 that was being broke up for spares that day and then fitted it myself within 10 minutes. The car is fine again now. If you can find yourself a fault reader or even someone with AA/RAC personal cover to diagnose the fault then it makes your life a lot easier.

Racing Blue 182
I had these issues 2 weeks ago, management light flashing and then stuck on, car wouldn't rev clean, huge misfire with it sounding like a Subaru. I looked on here and was 99% certain it was an injector fault - I have AA home start so called them out to use their fault reader which showed a fault with injector number 4 (nearest the drivers side). I got him to clear the code and remove the fuel rail guard (2 10mm nuts with long socket) and then loosen the injector rail (2 10mm nuts) ready for fitting a new injector or rail. I picked up a complete 2nd hand rail from a running 172 that was being broke up for spares that day and then fitted it myself within 10 minutes. The car is fine again now. If you can find yourself a fault reader or even someone with AA/RAC personal cover to diagnose the fault then it makes your life a lot easier.
Wow thanks! This sounds just like my problem! It has just been plugged in again and has come up with injector 4 fault/injector wiring fault (I don't know everything it said or the codes as I haven't had time to properly talk to my mechanic) so could this be sorted the same way as described above, or does it need a new injector we think? Thanks

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wow thanks! This sounds just like my problem! It has just been plugged in again and has come up with injector 4 fault/injector wiring fault (I don't know everything it said or the codes as I haven't had time to properly talk to my mechanic) so could this be sorted the same way as described above, or does it need a new injector we think? Thanks

Read it again, he DID fit a new injector.

PH1 Clio 172
Probably not very helpful but my coil pack failed on my Golf GTI a few months before I got rid. Are you with a breakdown company? I called out RAC and he tested it for me with a new pack and then just charged me for the new part. Job done!
just a thought