ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help, my amp just stopped working

C4 Grand Picasso

The power light isnt lighting up green any more, it lights up red for about 3 seconds when I turn the head unit on. Its a Magnat Bull Power 2200.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1086451467__ampprob01.jpg

Background Story (for anyone whos interested):
When I turned the bass down to 0 on the head unit there was still loads of bass heard from the sub. So I thought I would turn the amp down. I pulled the amp from under the passenger seat, turned down the screw labelled Level, and the one labelled LPF. I stuck the amp back under the seat and noticed I had no bass.

Any ideas about what Ive broke will be greatly appreciated.
Mike.

C4 Grand Picasso

Quote: Originally posted by Dave16v on 05 June 2004

i notice its on high pass and you are runnin subs - thats low pass
Only in the picture mate, it was set up right before I broke it, when it stopped working I started turning knobs and flicking switches with some strange idea that would fix it. :oops:

I have checked the earth, and all seems fine, I will have pull out all the wiring tomorrow to check them all.

A slow one :-(

Check speaker cable! Try hooking a different speaker upto it to make sure that it aint the sub!

Polo + Micra

somethings f**ked inside

open it up and have a look

i bet one of the transistors has melted!!!

could you have shorted a channel? or have you been very carefull?

What ohmage is the sub? and what is the amp stable at?

different amps stay in protection for different reasons, have you got a copy of the maual?

Rorrie

Yeah have you melted the speaker cable? Have you got good quality cable running to it. Could be that the speaker cable has shorted and thats why the protection circuit has kicked in to save the amp from frying itself!

make sure ure ground is proper fat and chunky! also make sure that where it is connected to that all the paint is scratched off so it only touches bare metal!

C4 Grand Picasso

Have been out the country for a few days (ok in Wales - but its a different country aint it?), just got back and read all replies.

Eddieb: I havent checked the cables properly yet - but the red light is still on even with no speakers attached.

Dink16v: Does that mean I have to buy a new amp if something inside is buggered?

Rorrie: I wired the sub up, its been in the car, working, for at least 6 months, so I assume I wired it correctly. I dont know the first thing about amp & ohm ratings, and the manual tells me what the different butons do, but nothing about the protection circuit or any troubleshooting.

H3lter: I done a quick check, but will go out and make sure that its the best earth I can get.

Cheers for all the help, I will check all wires - espeically earth and speaker wires, and will get back with the out come.

Mike.

Suzuki SV1000S

I think it will be the earth cable matey!

Check that before you start taking it apart!

This is assuming youve checked the fuse!

TT 225

Its in protect mode. Mine did this when the fuse had blown. The reason it blew was because the thing overheated due to the weather and me mounting it in a crap place. Changed the fuse, moved the amp and all is fine now :)

Hopefully it will just be the fuse in your case too :)

C4 Grand Picasso

VERY VERY SORRY FOR WASTING EVERYONES TIME :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

I forgot there was a fuse on the power cable, it had blown. Probably like Kellys had due to the amp being under the passenger seat and overheating.

Ill remember this for next time, especially as I had spent half hour pulling out all the wires, then having to re-thread them round the dashboard and carpet.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.
Mike.

PS: please feel free to call me an idiot for making such a stupid mistake.