ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help needed cam belt question

just brought a clio 16v engine to drop into my car but as its out i thought i might as well change belt tensioners etc etc

any handy hints or special tools?

a guide would be good any help also appreciated

MERCEDES CLS AMG
When you fit a timing belt on the F7P 722 engine ( clio 1.8 16v ) make sure you fit 2 new tensioners as well. A timing belt kit which is available from Renault - part number 7701469755 £82.00 + vat consists of a belt and 2 new tensioners. If you fit a new belt on old tensioners it has been known for the tensioners to colllapse under the new strain from the belt. Renault recommend you fit a kit.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
you need a crank pin, a tool to lock the cam sprockets a M6 x 45mm bolt to adjust tensioner and preferably a tension gauge as well

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Depends how competent you are. Not the nicest of jobs and a fortune at Renault. Got mine done at BBPT who charge IRO £130 plus VAT less member discount. Other Renault tuners charge the same.

This is without tensioners by the way. I did not get mine changed and 38k later it hasn't failed yet. NOW I'M WORRIED !!!!

Think tensioners could be a bit noisy however so probably a good idea to change them at same time as belt.

Sure someone on here could say how hard the job is if they did themselves but then everyones competence levels are different so what is easy to one person...........

Not a job I would like to do in this weather and if it goes wrong through mis fitment correction will be expensive.

true true

but the engines already out the car so cant be to bad.compaired to working whilst its in the car.
cam belt kit from gsf tensioners and belts is about 65 quid which aint to bad i know i need a pin and gauge and ill give it a shot
still any one near london who knows there s**t and wants to help cheaply let me know as i said before its out the car so shouldnt be to bad