ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed, major ball ache.

Got a 172 cup here and I had both the battery and stop warning light on, all drove fine and normal but I stopped to go shopping and when I come out the car wont start just makes a clicky noise when the key is turned.
Jump started the car and all is well until the car idles at around 500rpm basically stalling and then the wipers or light wont come on. :(

Trying my best to get it home but it soon dies and i loose steering and engine cuts out completely.

Took the battery out and is currently being charged over night now.

My best guess is alternator had died, does this sound right?

Anyone had anything similar?
Anyone got ideas on what it could be?
Cost to fix?

any related feedback would be great.
Thanks in advance
Josh. :(

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
The symptoms are a completely flat battery.
Could be the alternator is not charging it.
Simple test is with a voltmeter (multi-meter) across the battery terminals, there should be a noticeable rise in voltage when the engine is revved, or if don't have a meter, switch on your sidelight lights and get someone to see if there is a slight increase in brightness with the same test - this may not be obvious in daylight though, if battery voltage stays at around 12v or less then alternator or connections from alternator are at fault.

Thanks dude, got the battery on charge atm and its not holding any charge, so hopefully it is the battery :) thanks for the help

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It will be either that or the alternator. The connections to the alternator can fail so if the battery doesn't do the job I'd get that checked by an auto electrician or someone you know that's handy

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate. Check the battery situation tomo and see how you get on, if you get stuck drop me a message and I will give you someone to go to in moreton :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Of all the places around here you picked one of the nicer places to breakdown lol. Keep me posted mate, will help if I can.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Give either of these a ring with your reg tomo

jim barrows 609 0609
euro car parts 559 2355

say you know dan at Taurus motors, see if they will give you some discount.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
No mate, they are both local (prenton) motor factors ref your potential battery purchase. The auto electrician I would use is a guy called stan, 677 8252.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure when the battery goes back on the terminals are clean (sand them preferably) and tight.

id hazard a guess at a flat battery due to possible short journeys? Either way before forking out on a new alternator I'd focus on the battery first

Update:
Bought a new battery and new alternator, turns out it was the alternator at fault as it wasnt charging. BUT all fixed now!
Wasnt cheap...

Had a bit of a mess up, had the front bumper of at my house and stuff as europarts said they have a 172 cup alternator in stock so i go there to pick it up but its a 182 one and the mounting points were off. So the only people who had one was halfords So got them to do it in the end.
Needed the car for work asap so just had to fork out for it.
All done now trying not to think about it!