ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed with Dynamics CRM

We are currently trying to install a new version of Dynamics CRM on a new server. We are pointing it to a database on another server (SQL 2005/Server 2008 R2). When it does its first set of checks it comes back with the error

"The instance name must be the same as computer name"

Now from a quick google it looks like if you installed the SQL server, then renamed it, it can cause this problem. I have ran both the commands below

sp_helpserver

SELECT @@SERVERNAME AS 'Server Name'

Both are showing the correct computer name. To me it sounds like this isn't the issue. We would have renamed the server BEFORE installing SQL (it is an early step in our server deployment checklist).

Anyone else got any ideas? The port is open and I can query the machine fine from SQL Management Studio. We are running on a non standard SQL port and the SQL Browser service is disabled, could this be the issue?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Do you have a SQL named instance or the Default instance, sounds like that may be your issue, it sounds like you need to name the instance the same as the server name, exactly. Although I'm not sure our dynamics is like that.

I might be being a little simplistic here, I don't know your level of knowledge though, but default instances and named instances are very different when app integration is concerned.

It is running under the default instance, sorry I forgot to mention that.

servername\MSSQLSERVER,port is what I have been entering on the Specify Deployment Options screen

I think it is a bug with the installer (or you are not meant to add the port?), looking through another error it is showing is:

Setup was unable to verify that SQL Server Agent (SqlAgent$MSSQLSERVER,PORTNUMBER) was running.

It looks like it is actually adding the port number onto the end of it :(

Last edited:
All sorted, had to create a string under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo]

The string name was the original servers name with the value data of DBMSSOCN,servername\instancename,port

I then entered the string name in the connection box and it is working!

dk

911 GTS Cab
So reading that it sounds like I was right, it's expecting to see the server name and then the instance name rather than mssqlserver which is a default name?

And you edited it in the registry instead?

So reading that it sounds like I was right, it's expecting to see the server name and then the instance name rather than mssqlserver which is a default name?

And you edited it in the registry instead?

If we entered just the server name it wouldn't work, it would say it couldn't connect.
If we entered server name and port it would say that the we needed to specify the instance name
If we entered the server name and instance it would say it couldn't connect.
If we entered the server name, instance name and port it would say that the instance name needs to be the same as the computer name.

MSSQLSERVER was the default instance name, hence why we were adding it. Whoever installed it originally decided to keep it as default.

We managed to knock up a quick test rig and if we were running on a default port it worked perfectly (specifying the servername\MSSQLSERVER). The only way we could get it working was to create the alias (in my post above), this then worked.

Oh and to add, the alias worked when we used any name we wanted, so if we called it "test" it would connect just fine and pass all the checks which makes no sense!