ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sage ACT!

Does anyone use this? We've got ACT! V11 (2009), and have an ongoing issue with accessing the database (SQL).

The machines in the office (LAN) can access the shared .pad file no issues.

We have one laptop which works in the office, but as soon as it's taken out, and VPS is used, it fails to find the database :( Although the laptop can view the network fine (share/modify files etc).

I've Googled the s**t out of this, but nothing has worked.

The database "database name" could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

FFS. Today I've had phones, emails, websites, Minitab, VPS and Act issues. I give up.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
So you're vpn'ing in from the laptop?

Wonder if it's anything to do with the VPN setup and if it's not shunting the traffic for this app down the VPN for some reason.

No, using the actual software.

I've just installed it on my home PC, and it also won't connect, even though I can see the full network in the office (so the VPN must be working?).

No, using the actual software.

I've just installed it on my home PC, and it also won't connect, even though I can see the full network in the office (so the VPN must be working?).

Tried using telnet to connect to the port SQL Server is running on (just to make sure it is open over the VPN?)

:eek: How can I do/test this?

From my home laptop, work pc, or the actual machine hosting the ACT SQL?

Are you running Windows XP? If you are and if SQL Server was running on the default port (1433) you would do this:

Start -> Run -> type "cmd" to bring up a command prompt.

telnet servername port

So if your SQL server was called "sageact" you would type

telnet sageact 1433

This all depends on your operating system and what port SQL Server is running on. :)

If the port is open the screen will go black, if it fails it will tell you that it couldn't open a connection to the host. As an example you could try using telnet to connect to www.google.co.uk on port 80, then do the same on port 8080 just so you know what it will look like if it succeeds/fails to connect.

Last edited:
All I know is, it installs SQL 2005.

Basically, the machines in the office are networked to each other, but don't connect to the 'Server' for anything. The Server (2003) is only used for VPN (which is successful with sharing files, just ACT fails).

So on the LAN the PCs just view the ACT database with no issues, but when VPNing in, it fails.

bc28875d.gif

To install the telnet client on Windows 7 go to

Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and features
On the left side you should see "Turn Windows Features on or off", click on it
A new window will pop up, scroll down and tick "Telnet Client" then click OK.

Once finished you will be able to use telnet on your Windows 7 machine. Your best bet would be to find out what port the SQL server is running on. If it is just a default install my guess would be 1433. Try running telnet from one of the machines that it works from. If it succeeds on that but not on your home machine the port might be blocked/denied by whatever VPN solution you are using.

Great, thanks for your help so far.

I tested telnet from the office PC, e.g. 192.168.1.64 1060 (the port which is stated for act afaik), and it connected / went blank.

I then tested from home, but it states connection failed.

The VPN software I'm using is the default Server2003 kit, with a single port forwarder on our router.

Great, thanks for your help so far.

I tested telnet from the office PC, e.g. 192.168.1.64 1060 (the port which is stated for act afaik), and it connected / went blank.

I then tested from home, but it states connection failed.

The VPN software I'm using is the default Server2003 kit, with a single port forwarder on our router.

When you are at home can you see any file shares on your ACT server? (Just guessing there is a share or something you also connect to)

Yes I can see the ACT server from home, and I can access it's shared files which all other PCs can access too.

The only way I access the ACT server from home, is going to start, \\192.168.1.64 which then shows the shared folders on that machine.

Ok, that's good news :) You just need to work out how to open that port up to people connected to your VPN. I've never used 2003 to do that, I am just creating a 2003 VM to see what I can find but I need to be up early tomorrow. Hopefully it will install quite quickly :)

Just an update to say I uninstalled ACT, and installed it onto a Windows7 Machine, and it works through VPN now :S

Not sure whether the XP machine hosting ACT was playing up.