ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Please - What To Do?

Do I break, sell or repair?

I have an intermittent fault with my 2001 iceberg 172. It's something to do with the lambda sensor as the previous owner spliced a new one in. This was replaced and repaired to a high standard ad worked perfectly for a while. Now it's started being a problem again. It's a problem as you put your foot down and the engine just won't accelerate. You drive keep your foot down and it will eventually pick up again or you can drop down a gear to drive through it and it will be as good as gold and pull really well. The garage have told me the only thing they could try is to retire the lambda from the ecu? Does this sound like a big job?where is the ecu located?

So I could repair it or sell it as it is- how much roughly would it be worth though?

Or would I be better breaking it, it's completely standard apart from a s/s exhaust? For anyone who has broke a car before s it worth it?

Cup In bits
ECU's next to battery though you wont need access in order to disable the lambda, why you would I don't know.

Its going into 'limp mode' by the sounds of it. Put a code reader on it first though lol.

Standard car your going to struggle to make any money if you payed more than £1000 as a lot of parts won't sell unless there really good condition plus its a fair task to store everything, post it etc.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You're going to struggle to sell a car on here that you've documented theres a fault with.

Have it fault read and get it sorted, i would guess the cars worth more to you working as it is selling it not working.

Clio RS200
^^^^
what he said. Breaking in a pita. Code readers cost next to nothing. £10-£15 quid and worth it. Lamba sensors are the Bain of most people's lives and aren't that reliable. Could be as simple as just replacing it. Even with a code reader at least you can delete the fault and get up and running again.

I have a code reader and it went on the garages code reader too. which is why the lambda sensor was replaced. What the garage have said it that they would re-wire the lambda sensor wiring back to the ecu because there may be a break in the wire causing the fault, not to disable the lambda but to make it work properly.

It doesn't matter that I have 'reported' the fault on here, I would never sell it without the owner knowing there was a problem anyway.

Code 1 - DF002 throttle potentiometer circuit
Code 2 - DF236 + after relay supply
Code 3 - DF057 upstream oxygen sensor circuit
Code 4 - DF057 upstream oxygen sensor circuit
Code 5 - DF254 motorised throttle control, motorised throttle automatic control fault
Code 6 - DF057 upstream oxygen sensor circuit

These are all the faults for my car coming up on the garages code reader. Anyone shed any light on their real meanings that would be great.

180.5 bhp 172
Code 1 - DF002 throttle potentiometer circuit
Code 2 - DF236 + after relay supply
Code 3 - DF057 upstream oxygen sensor circuit
Code 4 - DF057 upstream oxygen sensor circuit
Code 5 - DF254 motorised throttle control, motorised throttle automatic control fault
Code 6 - DF057 upstream oxygen sensor circuit

These are all the faults for my car coming up on the garages code reader. Anyone shed any light on their real meanings that would be great.

I had the DF002 that you have - Changed the throttle pedal and cleaned the Intake with Carb cleaner and its been fine since. Cost a tenner off here.

Cup In bits
Are they codes that are always coming up or were they just stored in the history?

If they are persistent codes then they are all related to throttle and lambda sensor wiring, I would trace back lambda wiring and throttle wiring and I'm 90% sure you'll find something rubbed through or water damaged. If nothing is found then replace those components one at a time with known working parts but its more than likely wiring related.

I'm no mechanic and useless with electronics but I need to save some cash. To check the wiring would I use a multimeter and check from point to point on each wire?

Cup In bits
Either that or physically check because if wires are rubbed through you will get false continuity readings, that and these cars seem to share earths with about 1000 different components.

Take out your battery and unsecure all looms around that area and relay box, take of conduate and have a good gander.