ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help please!!!

I have a clio cup 172 and im having a problem thats really annoying and quite dangerous too. When im accelerating hard say up to 5k the car feels like its hitting the limiter and jerks about. i really aint gotta clue what it is but im thinking spark plugs or something like that maybe?

the car is on 45k and ive heard the sparks last way longer than that but i dont know.

anyone got an idea??

thanks

cli0 172 said:
engine mounts ?? ... not really sure ... just an idea

can be a common problem

Have no clue mate honestly im not good with mechanics at all really so i really dont know. i cant afford take it to renault and i dont want to anyway as there a joke to be honest.

Sprak plugs should last the 72k but some people have said they are better with new ones.
I'd say its more linky yout coil packs than plugs.

VW ....
well i would say if it only happens under acceleration its worth checking them .... it aint the plugs if it runs normal when not booting it .

I'm sure someone else will be along at some point who has had a similar experience .

Hope u get it sorted .

B

Brown.

try under normall( well gradual insted of toeing it) acceleration..... if it feels like it hitting the limiter, you might of stripped teeth on the gear box...just a thought

edde said:
Sprak plugs should last the 72k but some people have said they are better with new ones.
I'd say its more linky yout coil packs than plugs.

Oh how much would this cost to sort out? im really pissed off at the minute ive only had it about a month and already im thinking about getting rid of it, problems after problems and its a shame as i love the car

big_peaches said:
try under normall( well gradual insted of toeing it) acceleration..... if it feels like it hitting the limiter, you might of stripped teeth on the gear box...just a thought

It doesnt do it all the time though some days it will not do it at all and feel great but others (like today) it will everytime i put my foot down. Its not as if i was booting it from cold or anything either as ive just drove back from manchester to stoke and didnt even put my foot down till i got almost home

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I don't find that my car jerks when I hit the limiter to be honest with you, I wouldn't decribe it that way. 5,000 RPM is a bit low to hit it anyway (unless engine is cold). I'd be tempted to say it could be suspension or steering related. Maybe even a buckled wheel? A cracked spring? Either way, get it checked out M8 by someone who knows what they are doing (I'd post a thread asking for a recommended garage in your area).

Cheers, Rob669

Rob669 said:
I don't find that my car jerks when I hit the limiter to be honest with you, I wouldn't decribe it that way. 5,000 RPM is a bit low to hit it anyway (unless engine is cold). I'd be tempted to say it could be suspension or steering related. Maybe even a buckled wheel? A cracked spring? Either way, get it checked out M8 by someone who knows what they are doing (I'd post a thread asking for a recommended garage in your area).

Cheers, Rob669

yeah i didnt really describe it right its not really a jerk i cant decribe it properly but it feels like when the car hits the limiter only at much lower revs sometimes. its intermitant its just annoying me loads and i cant be arsed with it anymore.

thanks for the replys guys

Been to renault holdcroft today for them to have a look at my problem and the fact my car randomly cuts the power out at different revs.......................

After being in there for 2 hours and also demonstrating the problem to the mechanic (he did agree the defo was a problem) the computer diagnostic check didn't bring up anything at all. The receptionist says "they cannot do anything unless there is a problem registered on the system, bring it back when it gets worse"

First of all:-

Since when have mechanics had to rely on computers to sort out problems???
and

What a joke of a thing to say "bring it back when it gets worse" i mean come on the reason im f**king bringing it in is because i dont want it get worse i want it sorting now.

Is there anyone out there who could possibly help?

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Had exactly the same prob on the wifes 1.2.
Also renault said the computer says nothing is wrong.
After going in for the 3rd time. Guess what it was?

Yep spark plugs. So i would deffo try that.

Dave

Thanks for the reply mate, i forgot to mention i changed sparks last week to NGK platinum ones so no joy there.

This is killing me now lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Volvo S60 T5
has your problem been since the new plugs?

If your stuck and based near portsmouth I'm sure I could help out.
or you have Carlton down devon way, gdi midlands way.

Lionel Richie
Mike@Rentech said:
has your problem been since the new plugs?

If your stuck and based near portsmouth I'm sure I could help out.
or you have Carlton down devon way, gdi midlands way.

E- for Geography Mr Mikey!!

cambridge isn't in the midlands!, the midlands in the domain of Hill power and Yozzasport

Volvo S60 T5
oh i forgot to mention, have a butch at the plug leads, they branch together so look out for white residue around the leads at that point, try seperating them.

Thanks a lot for the help guys very much appreciated, nice to have help from people who know. I live in Stoke on Trent so anywhere near there i could take it, so Mike i doubt i would be able travel down there lol.

Na it happened before the sparks, i suppose changing the leads is the next option really but i just dont feel its that really and its killing me dipping into my pocket all the time and getting no where.

Gotta fund my final year of uni this year and petrol prices are bad enough!!!! hehe

172 cup and Saab 9-3
buy original equipment always better that after market i had failure on two set of mags wouldn't go back to those.

cli0 172 said:
engine mounts ?? ... not really sure ... just an idea

can be a common problem

happened to me.. its like a jerkin movement?? then my engine fell out. and im being serious. go get it checked asap.

distributor cap and rotor arm?? mite have worn out, when you cane it, it mite not be able to keep up so missfires or summint!

Take it off, stick a bit of kitchen roll (bounty if you've got it [jus jokes]) and clean all the s**t out of it, spray it with a healthy dose of WD40 and stick it back on again. Don't do this job if its raining though!!!

You'd b amazed how much a milionth of a drop of water in that cap can b****cks up your driving.

hellsbells said:
happened to me.. its like a jerkin movement?? then my engine fell out. and im being serious. go get it checked asap.

Engine mounts surely wouldnt be causing it to bounce of the rev limiter at random points would it??

littlefrenchmusclecar said:
distributor cap and rotor arm?? mite have worn out, when you cane it, it mite not be able to keep up so missfires or summint!

Take it off, stick a bit of kitchen roll (bounty if you've got it [jus jokes]) and clean all the sh*t out of it, spray it with a healthy dose of WD40 and stick it back on again. Don't do this job if its raining though!!!

You'd b amazed how much a milionth of a drop of water in that cap can b****cks up your driving.

Sounds like a good plan mate except i dont even know where these are :eek:

Is there anyway you could provide pics and maybe a little guide of how to do it? i am piss poor with this kinda s**t tbh

appreciate the help

no pics im afraid mate. Buts it fairly easy to find! very basic little job!

Its the black cap where all the spark leads go into. i.e. the other end from the spark plugs. should just be a couple of screws holding the cap on, just unscrew them, wriggle the cap off. you may want to pull your spark leads off and move them out the way for easy access, up to you.

Just clean the insides up, give it a spray with WD40 and screw it back on again.

If the four metal terminals/prongs/contacts (whatever you wanna call them) look a bit rusted, just get a flat headed screwdriver and give them a bit of a scrap to get all the corroded shite off.

Just whatever you do, don't let any water get anywhere near it!!

Does the car sound like an unhealthy tractor when it starts fuking up (i.e. missfiring)? cos if it does then my money is definately on distributor or summint like that.

Yeah sounds like a piece of s**t tbh mate, Can i take the thing off and take it inside and do it???

Then i could close my bonnet and stop it getting wet at all then

Ta mate

ye. certainly can mate. just dont leave it for too long if it is raining though. any moisture buildup on the rotor arm will upset it.

Hope it is that cos thats a piss easy job. otherwise sorry m8, i don't know.

Let me know how it goes.

yeah mine sounds like a transit van when i first start it up. specially in cold weather. But, try it mate. I first had this problem when i gave my engine bay of my old clio a good hose down. got down the road and when i booted it it just started missfiring all over the shop, sounded like a tractor that had just swallowed a cow, started judering etc... scared me shitless, thought i'd well and truly fukt my car! But some helpfull little man came out of his house, with a screw driver, kitchen towel, some WD40 and a can of stella (for me while i waited) and showed me the state id got my distributor into. after that it was fine!

littlefrenchmusclecar said:
yeah mine sounds like a transit van when i first start it up. specially in cold weather. But, try it mate. I first had this problem when i gave my engine bay of my old clio a good hose down. got down the road and when i booted it it just started missfiring all over the shop, sounded like a tractor that had just swallowed a cow, started judering etc... scared me sh*tless, thought i'd well and truly fukt my car! But some helpfull little man came out of his house, with a screw driver, kitchen towel, some WD40 and a can of stella (for me while i waited) and showed me the state id got my distributor into. after that it was fine!

my faith in humanity has been restored!!

This happened to me ages ago in my 182Cup. I bet a pound to a pinch of s**t that it's your temp sender. The wiring comes loose and the ECU thinks the engine is cold so it ups the fuel. The eventual end result is serious missfiring - just like hitting a brick wall.

My syptoms were identical. The problem only really showed itself when gunning it hard in the upper rev range. If this is your problem you might also see the temp needle fluttering when you are driving hard. The end result will be that the engine just cuts out and dies. Mine broke down on a roundabout in plumes of black smoke.

There were also no faults logged and my dealer could not recreate the problem. I told them over the phone to give it death on a test drive, and got a call an hour later saying they had recreated it. A day or so later they had traced it to dodgy sensor wiring. It's never done it since.

Just another alternative possible cause of your symptoms :)

Yeah it does it sometimes in the higher rev ranges also i.e. 5.5k/ 6k

Its fucked up as i have no clue what to do on my own, reno are w**k and i really dont want leave it with them for too long as the clock is ticking and i simply dont have the cash. Is there anyway i could check this myself?

thanks for helping

Yeah warm it up good (15 mins) and then take it on a death run. Give it hell. I'm almost willing to bet that you see the water temp needle doing a little dance as you creep up the rev range. If that needle flutters then you've found your problem. Word of warning, do not keep pushing while the needle is down, as eventually it will break down.

Ok will try mate, dont really want it get any worse as im fucked if it does. Back to uni next weekish and f**k if im gonna pay to get this s**t sorted

Thank god ive got RAC cover LOL!!