ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help please!!!

renault clio sport 172
I have a 172 and all of a sudden, things are going wrong and because i am a lady, i just do not have a clue and thought i would ask you guys if you have any ideas?

Firstly, my car is making a horrible scratching noise when i break or turn corners. I have a feeling its my break discs but it also makes the noise when im acceleratin and not even using the breaks. It sounds as though their is something trapped under the car...the noise is so embarrassing as its really loud and its getting worse.

Secondly, when i turn a corner or go over a bumpy road, my handbreak light on the dashboard flashes on and off. Could this because its loose? I just dont have a clue lol.

Hope you can all help. Many Thanks Estelle

RS Clio 172 Cup
I have a 172 and all of a sudden, things are going wrong and because i am a lady, i just do not have a clue and thought i would ask you guys if you have any ideas?

Firstly, my car is making a horrible scratching noise when i break or turn corners. I have a feeling its my break discs but it also makes the noise when im acceleratin and not even using the breaks. It sounds as though their is something trapped under the car...the noise is so embarrassing as its really loud and its getting worse.

Secondly, when i turn a corner or go over a bumpy road, my handbreak light on the dashboard flashes on and off. Could this because its loose? I just dont have a clue lol.

Hope you can all help. Many Thanks Estelle

Regarding the scratching noise. could do with some more information. Do you know roughly where the noise is coming from. Front/Back Drivers/passengerside.

About the handbreak light, i presume your break fluid level is low. Not 100% sure though, can anyone back me up?

renault clio sport 172
Hi Mark, the noise is definately the front. It sounds like scraping or scratching is beneath the car. Its worse when i break and turn corners.

Barge
I was going to say strut top mounts. But scraping and scratching noises I'm not so sure. :S

I'd agree the fluid would be low for the handbrake.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Hi Mark, the noise is definately the front. It sounds like scraping or scratching is beneath the car. Its worse when i break and turn corners.

Mind be the wheel is catching the wheel arch liner. Check the black plastic lining under the wheel arch to see if its loose.

renault clio sport 172
Do you think the noises could be the break discs need chaging? And thats why its making load scraping noises when i break or turn corners?

Barge
You can feel what the discs are like by running your finger across them (not sure what your alloys are like and how accessible they'd be to do so) you'd be able to hear a grinding if they were too low when you braked. Not sure about going round corners really, I can't say I've noticed that ever.

Definitely check your arch liners.

renault clio sport 172
the noise is similar to grinding, apart from it can be a high pitched noise the closer i am to stopping the car. Its quite hard to describe lol.

Barge
Brakes I'd say. The longer you go without getting them checked the worse it'll get. You'll probably need pads and discs, depending how long you've been driving it like that for. :)

Pug 205 gti
the brake pads could be screwed. prob worn down to the metal so its makin the grinding. by puttin new pads in will sort the noise an sort the light out

SG9 Forester STi
Beaten to it ^ Was going to suggest worn brake pads...have a look if you can and see if they are worn, if they are down to the metal then thats what causes the high pitched noise when you're braking.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
It would make sense that the brake pads have got very low , no pad left! This would then cause the grinding noise, plus it could also mean the brake fluid is low, hence the hand brake flickering on.

You really need to get it checked, because if it is the breaks then it could be dangerous!

^ Beaten by everyone else on the entire forum

ph1 black 172
it is most likely the brake pads.

they have were indicators which are ment to make a high pitch squeak/grinding noise to tell you they need changing.

look throuh the alloy at the brake caliper, then next to the disc you will see the brake pad (number 2 in pic)

ctBrakes.gif

see if you can see the brake pad materal, it should have about 2mm mininium.

any less then the brakes will make a grinding noise.

hope this helps