ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Possible Engine Problem

albi 197
Ok, dropped my mate off tonight and was heading home. Was accelerating hard in second and as I approached 5000 rpm the engine felt like it was holding back. I back off and put it into a higher gear, then I noticed a constant knocking noise from the engine. Its very noticeable on part throttle and slightly quieter at idle.

Any ideas people, want to avoid spending money to diagnose a problem which will then cost me even more to fix.

Cheers

Clio Williams & 182
Does the car feel underpowered throughout the rev range?

Do the most obvious and easiest visual checks on the car first, check oil, coolant etc.

See if anything has come loose, could be an easy fix. If nothing...

...pop the bonnet and start car for a short time only, put yer ear to the engine, (mind out, it can get hot) and try and detect if it is an internal engine sound.

If so...

Could be a number of things such as a shagged bottom end component or possibly a slipped timing belt causing the valves to be out of synch/bent.

albi 197
Ok took the car to tcr. Initial verdict is not good at all.

First thing the guy said was - "thats the bottom end". So basically the bottom end is wrecked and the top isn't getting any oil because there is no oil pressure.

Not really sure what to do now, do i get the engine rebuilt, or do i get a second hand engine, or do i just scrap the clio n get a new car?

Very frustrating.

Clio Williams & 182
Ok took the car to tcr. Initial verdict is not good at all.

First thing the guy said was - "thats the bottom end". So basically the bottom end is wrecked and the top isn't getting any oil because there is no oil pressure.

Not really sure what to do now, do i get the engine rebuilt, or do i get a second hand engine, or do i just scrap the clio n get a new car?

Very frustrating.

It is frustrating, yea :(

It sounded like a BE problem, but it's always good to check other things first.

Hard call on what do to. It depends on your experience. If you can locate a good engine and swap it over, and have the tools for such a job and some know-how/help that's probably easier than taking the bottom end apart and having a session at rebuilding it yourself. You would need an indoor area and an engine lift/stand so you can get the bugger out and then work on it safely and easily. I don't know your experience level in mechanics, but it may not be a job for newbies...but you could do it as long as you are willing to take time over it to learn as you go.

Having it done for you can often be expensive, but a professional engine rebuild is a nice thing to have had done on an engine like this.

Slapping in a replacement engine would be easier, but I would give the replacement some love before you put it on (Head gasket, other gaskets, head bolts, cambelt and other less expensive items).

Don't scrap it unless you have no option.

Megane dci 130
So is there actually oil in the engine?
Any warning lights on the dash? Could be a depahser problem.

albi 197
Nah its defo a bottom end problem. It was the result of low oil, which was odd because it was ok a couple of weeks ago, but no lights lit up on the dash which is really irritating.

Unfortunetely there is no way I could have a bash myself as I haven't the work space or the time to do it really and I need to get the car back on the road asap.

TCR are going to strip the engine today I believe and have a look at whats happened and then give me an idea of whether it can be rebuilt or not. If it can this is probably what I will do and maybe stick a new clutch, cambelt etc in - finances permitting of course.

200bhp 172 cup
Nah its defo a bottom end problem. It was the result of low oil, which was odd because it was ok a couple of weeks ago, but no lights lit up on the dash which is really irritating.

Unfortunetely there is no way I could have a bash myself as I haven't the work space or the time to do it really and I need to get the car back on the road asap.

TCR are going to strip the engine today I believe and have a look at whats happened and then give me an idea of whether it can be rebuilt or not. If it can this is probably what I will do and maybe stick a new clutch, cambelt etc in - finances permitting of course.

personaly check my oil atleast once a week, because if you dont this can happen. ouch expensive