ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Power window Issue with 172.

Renault Clio 172
Hey All, first time poster, 8 month lurker (ever since i got my new baby)

I've had some issues with it, mostly solved by the mechanic but i'm trying to get more hands on with it myself.
anyhoooos, my intermittent power window issue became a permanent issue today, and now i can't get my passenger side window to come up.
done a bunch of searching both here and elsewhere and it seems like there are a few common faults any of motor/switches/regulator/UCH/relays?
so it was intermittent for a while, the switch on the drivers side seemed to work a bit more often, but now neither makes it come back up. will still power the windows down though, there is a definite voltage drop in the interior lights when powering the motor down, but not up.
ripped the door card off and fiddled around with the wires and stuff, couldn't see any obvious problems (except for the main one that now my door is in multiple pieces and i have to get it all back together somehow) especially because i'm starting to suspect that the motor/regulator is fine but the problem is either UCH or switch based....
can anyone help a brother out and give me a hint as to what my next step/s should be?
thanks for any and all assistance :)

Renault Clio 172
Just to clarify, read some more and went and had another look at it, took the drivers side switch out and tried to blow it clean abit.
Couldn't find any wire to try bridging the connections on drivers side which i saw suggested on here for a similar problem. (will go get some off my neighbour tomorrow)
but i did find out that there is no voltage drop on the lights when using the drivers side controls to press the down button, but there is on the passenger side. even though both were able to make it go down earlier today, and the drivers has always seemed to be a bit better.
so maaaaaaaaybe the fault is either drivers switch or something b/w it and the passenger one?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
It's more than likely a switch problem in all honesty, you've probably read the conversation I had with another member the other week?

Renault Clio 172
It's more than likely a switch problem in all honesty, you've probably read the conversation I had with another member the other week?
right, so just re-read it and that was the post about bridging i was thinking about. will try tomorrow to at least work out if that is the problem. could i pretty pretty please ask (sorry had a coupla glasses of red, or a couple of couples) if i am bridging the cables on the drivers side, do i need to have the passenger switch installed? or if i bridge the power on the drivers side, do i then need to flick the switch on the passenger side as well as having it connected on the drivers side? I.E as a problem solving issue.... should i start at drivers side switch?
sorry if this isn't making sense. please, any questions that will help i would love to answer

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Yeah that's the thread, if you decide to bridge the wires (only to prove whether the switch is at fault mind) then leave the drivers side switch off and bridge one yellow wire to the grey and the other yellow to white (these 4 wires will be thicker than the others), you will need the switch on the passenger side connected in order to see whether the window will work.

There is a slight possibility that both the switches that operate the passenger window are faulty although this is very rare, it tends to be the passenger switch on the drivers side that fails.

Hopefully this is of some help, any questions please do ask away

Ads

Renault Clio 172
Yeah that's the thread, if you decide to bridge the wires (only to prove whether the switch is at fault mind) then leave the drivers side switch off and bridge one yellow wire to the grey and the other yellow to white (these 4 wires will be thicker than the others), you will need the switch on the passenger side connected in order to see whether the window will work.

There is a slight possibility that both the switches that operate the passenger window are faulty although this is very rare, it tends to be the passenger switch on the drivers side that fails.

Hopefully this is of some help, any questions please do ask away

Ads
cheers just need to find a couple of pieces of wire, and reattach the motor i think before i try to put any force into it