ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Serious Blue Smoke 172 Cup

dan's cast offs.
pretty much what he said up there...

if it doesn't smoke then rings, you should find some oil or at least a good amount of misting in the bottle. if it does smoke then guides/seals. ideally though you want to do leakdown test but that should point you in the right direction.

Focus RS mk1
pull the breather pipe off the inlet elbow and stick it into a bottle and zip tie it to the ecu bracket, bung the elbow hole if you want and then take it out for a run and see what it does.
I was going to suggest this, ive had the exact same symptoms as you smoking heavily then nothing at all. Mine happened after driving very hard, smoke filled the road behind me i could not see a thing! Pulled over and turned it off, pulled the airbox lid off and there was oil inside it which had been blown out the breather! Started it back up and after 10 mins of driving burning off the oil in the inlet/exhaust it stopped! I even had oil on the rear bumper where it had sprayed out the exhaust. This was the second time it had done it!
Very next day i went to renault and traded it in for a 197

Focus RS mk1
pull the breather pipe off the inlet elbow and stick it into a bottle and zip tie it to the ecu bracket, bung the elbow hole if you want and then take it out for a run and see what it does.
I was going to suggest this, ive had the exact same symptoms as you smoking heavily then nothing at all. Mine happened after driving very hard, smoke filled the road behind me i could not see a thing! Pulled over and turned it off, pulled the airbox lid off and there was oil inside it which had been blown out the breather! Started it back up and after 10 mins of driving burning off the oil in the inlet/exhaust it stopped! I even had oil on the rear bumper where it had sprayed out the exhaust. This was the second time it had done it!
Very next day i went to renault and traded it in for a 197

dan's cast offs.
thinking about it if you take the elbow off if it is rings/breathing heavy then you'll probably find a fair bit of oil in there and on the butterfly/body.

Focus RS mk1
I wish i knew what had caused it but at that point i had just had enough of the car and amount of money it was taking off me. I kept thinking if it was rings why was it intermittent like in this case. Mine was definatly breathing heavy with all that oil in the inlet which would suggest it was rings/blow by even though it lacked no power

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah good plan will check the breather and air box tomorrow and see what I find.

Will report back.

Cheers for the help gents!

Clio 172 Cup
Ok for a quick test just before I left for work I removed the breather pipe and put my little finger in there and it's as dry as a bone nothing was on my finger.

Evo 5 RS
Cylinder scoring / rings or damage to value seats. Probably from foreign object damage. That would be my guess. Pretty bleak unfortunately but these things always are when concerning the symptoms. That said it could probably go on for another 20k like that!

dan's cast offs.
still worth running it to a bottle and see how it goes but if it's dry then rings etc probably ok.