ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!!!! Vibrations when accelerating

RSI
Hi

Have Posted on here a few times before.
I have a mk1 phase 1 clio 1.8 rsi.

I got the car a few months back at a very reasonable price, but ever since then it has been sitting on my drive.

I decided after xmas to get it on the rd and got insured on it.

Previous to t6his i had only taken it round the block and so never noticed the problem!

problem is when accelerating, heavily the car vibrates and shakes from side to side quite violently :S but if you back off it stops.

Origionally i thought it could be tracking, or wheel balancing but if you put clutch down it stops.

If driving on motorway as you accelerate up to motorway speed it vibrates but as you back off to a steady speed it stops and only starts again when you accelerate heavily again.

Only possible explanation i have is that could be something to do with engine mounts????? although i am no mechanic!
if so How would i check??

Any other suggestions or if anybody has had this before please help.

Vibrations can be quite violent and i am reluctant to drive car untill sorted to be honest!!!

Thanks in advance
Sam ;)

Scirocco GT 210
I had the same problem once, turned out to be a broken spark plug, so the engine was only running on 3 cylinders.

Fuel consumption went up, performance down and the entire car used to vibrate like crazy when accelerating.

RSI
BTTT

Any more suggestions???

Like i said reluctant to drive car til i know what the problem is!

Many thanks

S

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the engine is running smoothly and it wobbles very badly under acceleration only then it Sounds like the diff in the gearbox has picked something up and it's spinning it round interfering with the meshing of the crown wheel and shaft. My williams box has just suffered this and it has that exact symptom.

The way to tell for deffo is to jack the front wheels up one at a time, put the car in gear and rotate them by hand. Any resistance or tightness is a dead givaway especially if it locks almost solid at any point.

If it rotates freely then put one had at the top of the wheel and one at the bottom and push with one hand and pull with the other. Alternate hands if you know what I mean. What you're looking for now is any in/out movement in just the wheel and brake disk whilst the calliper stays stationary. If so then it'll more than likely be a wheel bearing that's gone.

Once you get the problem fixed though I think you'll be very pleased with the car. The RSIs are lovely to drive.

Last edited:
  Renault clio Mk1 1.8 16v
u33db said:
Driveshaft c/v joints will likely be fooked.

Get 2 new or s/h shafts and that should cure it.

BINGO my valver is doing the same needs new wheel bearing and o/s drive shaft!