ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hesitation at 5000rpm

Clio Sport 172
hi guys. finally rebuilt my gearbox and got car back on the road then a week later ive got another fault sick as a chip lol. the car is hesitating when accelerating over 5k as if there is no vvt and the car feels sluggish and chocked up. im gonna do an oil change this weekend as not sure when it was last changed by the previous owner. has anybody had issues off the dephaser solenoid sticking? blocked with dirt/debris. feels like its something along these lines. i have no knocking etc from dephaser pulley just no vvt at 5k. cheers

VVT engages at 1650rpm.

they can stick, which will cause a massive loss of torque across the range.

Do you have access to an RSTuner? you can do actuator output tests which are great for checking the solenoid. that and Live data is a godsend.

Where are you based?

Clio Sport 172
VVT engages at 1650rpm.

they can stick, which will cause a massive loss of torque across the range.

Do you have access to an RSTuner? you can do actuator output tests which are great for checking the solenoid. that and Live data is a godsend.

Where are you based?

no mate theres no flat spots of torque up until 5k then it hesitates and becomes very flat. ive got a snap on code reader at work so goin to pop it on that nd see if its logging any dtcs. unfortunately havent got an rstuner and i am based in newcastle mate.

PH1 172 - 182 RB
I recently purchased a 172 ph1, after a few weeks mine after 5000 felt like it was holding back and the power was on and off. So i filled up with fresh oil and it sorted it (the levels was low though)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Blocked cat? New plugs, new leads, coil pack breaking down. Could be a number of things really. But certainly isn't the VVT as already mentioned that switches at 1650rpm and back off at over 6000rpm

Clio Sport 172
drives too well under 5k to have a blocked cat. ive had plugs out this morning and cleaned and checked gaps and they look fine. getting a strong spark from all plugs when cranked over. its not a misfire its like when you drive up to 5k the car drives faultless then as soon as you hit 5k the car lacks power and feels like youve hit a brick wall with no power until you drop back below 5k revs. checked and cleaned all sensor pins on connectors, cleaned throttle body and vvt solenoid. anybody shed any light on this as im stuck with this fault now? had battery off for half an hour to try and reset everythinf but still no joy!

Clio Sport 172
had the car on a snap on solus scanner today and its logging no fault codes.....not what i wanted as its a process of elimination now i suppose. has nobody had a similar fault and can shed any light?????

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Know anybody else near buy with a 172 that ya can borrow a coil pack and leads off so that ya can eliminate them

clio sport 172
I had this problem
It was caused by one of my lambda sensors plug coming loose but i dont know if that would come up on a diagnostic

Hop this is some help
Mat

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've never once seen a faulty vvt solenoid on an F4R. doesn't happen as far as I'm concerned.

IMO you have a lamda sensor issue

Clio Sport 172
I've never once seen a faulty vvt solenoid on an F4R. doesn't happen as far as I'm concerned.

IMO you have a lamda sensor issue

checked both lambda sensor on the live data and everything seemed fine. obviously i dont have the exact tolerances from renault but ive got a rough idea from working on volvos for a living. no overfueling or running rich which i would expect with a lambda sensor issue. car runs too well before 5k. its a strange fault never came across anything like this before
also its intermittent sometimes it will pull fine all the way to the redline then once the faults on its like hitting a brick wall at 5k with no power :s

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
checked both lambda sensor on the live data and everything seemed fine. obviously i dont have the exact tolerances from renault but ive got a rough idea from working on volvos for a living. no overfueling or running rich which i would expect with a lambda sensor issue. car runs too well before 5k. its a strange fault never came across anything like this before
also its intermittent sometimes it will pull fine all the way to the redline then once the faults on its like hitting a brick wall at 5k with no power :s

what is the lambda doing? I had this conversation yesterday "both lambdas are the same on live date, so it's fine" well there's the problem....

Clio Sport 172
my bad private has been lifted..... flat lines out when i stop giving it a few revs. both seem to be switching okay in my eyes but dont know exact specs for renault

Clio Sport 172
i will go out when the rush hour traffics gone with the reader connected and try and get some live data readouts when the fault is on. hard to do this all whilst driving mind but i shall give it a go lol

Clio Sport 172
you can but ive left my usb stick at work! so i can record the live data whilst driving then ill just video it again on my phone. right i will get some readouts and see if anybody can shed any light. cheers lads

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
from the 1st video, the post cat lambda is not doing what it should. At idle you normally see a rock solid 450mv, it shouldn't be switching at all

doesn't mean that sensor is at fault though, I'm still thinking pre cat lambda, but it may be an injector fault

Clio Sport 172
from the 1st video, the post cat lambda is not doing what it should. At idle you normally see a rock solid 450mv, it shouldn't be switching at all

doesn't mean that sensor is at fault though, I'm still thinking pre cat lambda, but it may be an injector fault

can you swap the 2 lambda sensors around? might try that and see if this makes a difference. im tempted to stick a coil pack and leads on as it does feel like its breaking down under load and i have felt it miss on a few occasions lower down the rev range. cheapest option first in my eyes

Clio Sport 172
had plugs out again today for a good inspection in daylight and ive found evidence of the spark tracking across onto the porcelain of the plug on cylinder 4. ordered some new leads for this afternoon. hopefully this will be a fix as i know plugs break down most under load. fingers crossed lol

Clio Sport 172
leads fitted and still the same! found crankshaft sensor wiring had been poorly repaired. cut this out and replaced with a propper connector and heatshrinked. yet to try but confidence is low lol. sick of this car now anybody got some petrol and a lighter......

Clio Sport 172
all sorted swapped a coil pack with donor car and car is running like a dream. cheers for the advice lads