ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hey all plenty of questions!!

Saxo VTS ph2
Im currently drive a 1.4 corsa sport...great runabout, great for a 1.4 too!

Well im considering getting something abit bigger, or shud i say more powerfull now...im turning 23 this may so ive had 2 clear options for my next car in my head one being a 106 gti or a saxo VTS, the other which is why im here is a 172! :)

checked out reviews and parkers guide, also the few top gear vids i could find on you tube:approve:

But just want to know what these cars are really like...i've driven my missus' 1.2 8 vavle ph2 clio before and a ph2 dci 80bhp very breifly...so am i looking at much difference in the feel of the drive between these models and a 172? other than power i mean?

-whats the difference between a 172 and a 182? other than looks...
-what price will a be looking at buying a ph1 172? or even a ph2 172 (do these exist?:eek:)
-road tax cost?
-what bhp can i see with good few hundred spent on it?
-best mods and why?
-all colour options of ph1's (if possible pictures wud be great);)
ermmm i cant fink im much more but sure you guys will tell me whats so good about them!

well all help would be great guys please, finding it abit hard to really know what they are like, im looking at test driving 1 or 2 soon.

budget is in the region of £2500-£3500 as me corsa dont need to go anywhere yet as its cheap and i'll keep saving up!

well hello all anywayz:rasp:

Last edited by a moderator:
  RB 200 Cup!
172 will feel comp different to those other clio models - handling and brakes are superb

can pick up ph1 172 for like 3 to 4k now

Lionel Richie
mk2 phs1's (round headlights) go from £3K up
mk2 phs2's (triangle lights) go from about £5K up

182 has a different exhaust manifold and cat and has 10ps more, suspension is a bit different

tax is £205

bhp for a few hundred = 0

make sure the car has had a cambelt £500 min job

Saxo VTS ph2
172 will feel comp different to those other clio models - handling and brakes are superb

cheers for such fast reply... you a 172 ureself then, get a pic up man! would be great to see it! cant see a gallery on here, came up on the site last summer and saw all the french car show, thats when i started considering one i think haha. ive been seeing a few 172's up for about £3ish lately, 50k on clocks and plenty of MOT/tax.

What faults/problems am i looking at? thats like a BIG question:D

oh anyone thats interested best mate has a completely standard r5 turbo...mint too, will have to get some pictures up!

Elise S1 B&C 140
Im currently drive a 1.4 corsa sport...great runabout if anyone wants summat in the region of £1500, great for a 1.4 too!

Well im considering getting something abit bigger, or shud i say more powerfull now...im turning 23 this may so ive had 2 clear options for my next car in my head one being a 106 gti or a saxo VTS, the other which is why im here is a 172! :)

checked out reviews and parkers guide, also the few top gear vids i could find on you tube:approve:

But just want to know what these cars are really like...i've driven my missus' 1.2 8 vavle ph2 clio before and a ph2 dci 80bhp very breifly...so am i looking at much difference in the feel of the drive between these models and a 172? other than power i mean?

-whats the difference between a 172 and a 182? other than looks...
-what price will a be looking at buying a ph1 172? or even a ph2 172 (do these exist?:eek:)
-road tax cost?
-best mods and why?
-all colour options of ph1's (if possible pictures wud be great);)
ermmm i cant fink im much more but sure you guys will tell me whats so good about them!

well all help would be great guys please, finding it abit hard to really know what they are like, im looking at test driving 1 or 2 soon.

budget is in the region of £2500-£3500 as me corsa dont need to go anywhere yet as its cheap and i'll keep saving up!

well hello all anywayz:rasp:

Quite a few differences between 172 and 182, Suspension set up, extras, power, colours etc.
For that money you will get a good PH1 but, would struggle to get a reasonable PH2
Road tax is highest bracket unfortunately = £205 for the year
Not the most tuneable engine in the world and unfortunately mods are quite expensive
Colours i think for PH1 are silver, yellow,black, red and a ltd. edition green

They are an awesome car, great for teh money and will feel so much better than the 1.2 to drive, probably the best all rounder on the market for the money.

You wont regret it. - Look in the clio media section for picture threads, or do a search, there are thousands of pics on the site.

Saxo VTS ph2
mk2 phs1's (round headlights) go from £3K up
mk2 phs2's (triangle lights) go from about £5K up

182 has a different exhaust manifold and cat and has 10ps more, suspension is a bit different

tax is £205

bhp for a few hundred = 0

make sure the car has had a cambelt £500 min job

haha bhp for a few hundre = 0 love it! so im keeping it standard :eek:) heard rumnours that 172's are better than the 182's, why would this be? cambelt is an obvious one i guess...anyone got a haynes?;) when shud it be changed? or how often shud i say!

only fault i know on clios at moment is the crappy interior handles:rolleyes:

Lionel Richie
cambelt change you need special tools to change, so no chance doing it DIY (unless you get the tools)

7hour job

they can be money pits, so buy a good one!

RB 200 Cup!

cheers for such fast reply... you a 172 ureself then, get a pic up man! would be great to see it!

here you go:

Photo-0008.jpg

ignore the fat mechanic - hes my friend

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a little 1.2 8v Corsa before I bought my 182 and I was also looking at 106 GTi's and VTS' before I considered a Clio and I'm so glad I bought the 182 as I see all the Saxo Boys and just love the fact I know that I will beat them and the clio is a slightly Classier car IMO

Downfalls =

Build Quality
Exhaust will prob Rust through if hasn't been changed
Aux Belt to be done at 36K Service
Cambelt at 72K Service
If driven hard you will go through quite a few sets of front tyres

Positives=

On Full Fat Clio's you get C/C, Leather n Alacantara, Auto wipers n Headlights
Fast car with Great Handling
Loads of Lovely Colours to choose from

Her's a couple of Poor uality Pics from a Meet i went to

SD530554.gif

SD530552.gif

My Blue 182 and Timmays Black PH2 172

SD530864.jpg

SD530866.jpg

SD530865.jpg

Hope this helps alittle bit

Andy

Saxo VTS ph2
common faults such as???
exhaust rotting through and all that is general stuff i guess...build quality i know will be crap, it's french after all! haha:rasp: thats where the corsa never let me down...everythings screwed together tight...maybe too tight! haha

is the haynes manaul different from the normal ph2 manual? as thats lying around so can have a butchers in abit.

Having a closer look i may have to sell some body parts for this car, just hope its worth it lol...plan to switch to diesel but want the fun of a beast of a petrol! i know the are faster cars, and putting a c20xe (2 litre calibra engine) in my corsa would most likely see most of you lads off on a straight but fancy getting a car thats meant to be like it...nice and small as dont plan on any little ones for a gud while.

One thing ive considered is waiting till december where i may have the cash for a 182 ph2 rather than a 172 ph1, but do like the ph1, looks strangely like a turbo 2 renault 5 from the front end!

adding up pro's and con's for either a gti or 172/182...both really fun cars, think the clio is more respected though as said above. can sit on the corsa till december if it means getting something better from the 182 instead of a 172, one thing i have noticed is the ph1 seem to have high mileage, than the ph1s that are more enthiast???:S

cambelt change is abit of a worry @ a stinking £500 is a joke! so will need one with it already done, i do kinda relised this car will most likely break on me as well in some way or another but...maybe thats the fun part

the silly question is also... renault 5 gt turbo versus clio ph1 172, who wins?...need that smile wiped of my mates face haha:evil:

Saxo VTS ph2
you do know there is a mk2 172?

sorry if im getting words all mumbled up haha! first day off work in ages and im tired! whats the major difference between 172 ph1 or ph2 and the 182's? is it just the cup pack suspension and brakes?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
SD530552.gif

3rd car in, The Green car is a Mk2 Ph1 and Most of the others are Mk2 Ph2's

Mk2 Ph1's will also be reffered to as Ph-Quick by alot of people!!

Saxo VTS ph2
ph1 have bug type lights at the front - ph2 are triangular

so thats the only differenc sweet! i know which is which like lol...just differences from ph1 or ph2 172...think im looking at a ph1 anyway for the budget, can see it now ph2 side strips and any colour coding needed done...and maybe sum ph2 multispokes that are a gun metal colour :)

well i'll get saving:quiet:

piston heads have a few...sort im going for i think
silver is the idea i think, common as it is looks great on a ph1 clio2

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/276664.htm

RB 200 Cup!

so thats the only differenc sweet! i know which is which like lol...just differences from ph1 or ph2 172...think im looking at a ph1 anyway for the budget, can see it now ph2 side strips and any colour coding needed done...and maybe sum ph2 multispokes that are a gun metal colour :)

yeah im thinking of selling my 172 and getting a ph1 172 - save up bit of money - supposedly the fastest of the sports

BMW M135i

Theres a world of difference between a Ph1 and Ph2 172, off the top of my head:
  • Different Interiors
  • Slightly Different Suspension on the Ph2 because of 16" Wheels
  • More Toys on the Ph2
  • FBW (fly by wire) throttle on the Ph2/Cable throttle on the Ph1
  • Slighty shorter gear ratios on the Ph2
  • etc
You'd be best off having a look through these buyers guides:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=276875
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162405
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=276833

Plenty of pics of my Ph2 172 here if you want to have a look: http://gallery.getflat.co.uk/v/My_Cars/2003_Renaultsport_Clio_172/

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
and putting a c20xe (2 litre calibra engine) in my corsa would most likely see most of you lads off on a straight but fancy getting a car thats meant to be like it...

No.....

As far as i remember a 2.0 litre calibra engine isnt as powerfull as a 172.
+ corsas are heavier.

I looked at doing it to my old corsa but to much money to do it properly

BMW M135i
Much easier and cheaper to tune though. And a corsa will generally weight less, and older one will anyway.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique+
hey mate

I recently joined the world of Clio's and i'm glad.. I did drive a 1.3 Ka.. yeah i no. Same as u i was 22 and looking for somethin a bit more well... more lol.

I considered all the cars u said and found myself a 1.6 Dynamique+ covered in kit like auto wipers auto lights etc and best of all it kills all the fiesta and saxo chavs (except the ST and VTR.. but it's close)

If your looking at 172 / 182 as long as u get a reasonable example you'll be laughing, yes they're french and will fall apart. Parts are expensive and not cheap to run... but i promise you'll love it. It's the best handling car in it's class

Forget it IMO gains are small realy.
-best mods and why?
See what you like there no best I prefere stock.

I prefere the none Rs brakes each to there own though.
What faults/problems am i looking at? thats like a BIG question
Common Clio problems
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=108607

Clio 172/182 differences/changes/facts on changes in production
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162405

172/182 buyers guide.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=276833

Saxo VTS ph2
didnt know they made a 1.4 corsasport ;)

yeh they did and they are cool run arounds does about 0-60 in 10ish seconds...which isnt bad at all for a 1.4 i dnt think! the c20xe option wud be faster im sure...easily tuned and cheapish to do so...car wud weight in at about 750-800 i believe not sure on weight of engine...its a heavy one...but im going for a 172 anyway guys! :D

just gonna sit on my hands abit with the corsa as insurance,MOT and tax is all gud for a while now, thinking of a silver or black if i can get my hands on one...i have a black one at moment....bitches to clean haha then takes the whole of a half day to get it dirty...so maybe platnium silver is it? ph1...ph2 side strips...dunno if id do anything else...but put petrol in it and look after it :eek:)
used to doing all the servicing myself on the corsa but the clio aint as simple i dont think!:nono:

just checking out quotes now:rasp: cheers for everything thats been posted! keep it coming...impressed with these bad boys!:eek: links look great as with faults, aslong as its more reliable than a renault 5 im happy:lolup:

Saxo VTS ph2
i cant view any of them guides! :clown:

aww well saving is going grand anyways...
how much do ph2's go for...started in 2002? maybe get a cup...insurance quote was cool...£680 for May when ill be driving 2 years on full license with 2 years no claims and... £580 in december when ill have bin driving 2 years with 3 years no claims:rasp: cheap as chips!:lolup:

finding a fair few ph1's knocking around and prices like very reasonable...
few questions...

the driving position any different from standard ph1 clio's to ph1 172's (1.2 seems very high up when driving, started driving the missus' car whenever i can just to get more of a rough idea on the clio's lol:star:

i cant view any of them guides! :clown:

aww well saving is going grand anyways...

finding a fair few ph1's knocking around and prices like very reasonable...
few questions...

the driving position any different from standard ph1 clio's to ph1 172's (1.2 seems very high up when driving, started driving the missus' car whenever i can just to get more of a rough idea on the clio's lol:star:

Pay £5 to be a member or do a search its been posted in free to view areas before.

FOr prices do a check on autotrader etc.

Nope driving position is not real different.