ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Mile Phobia

I had a 3 owner Octavia diesel on 235k, 1 of my S3's was on 196k when i sold it and it was still going at 210k (last time i saw it)

Currently my daily driver is a Lupo SDI on 217k, it has a complete comprehensive VW history with every part having been replaced in its time, including engine and gearbox.

Renault Clio182 bean
To be honest I have never bought a particularly low mileage car, most are 100k+ and have all been reliable. I bought the 182 at 109k and its spot on. Previous car was a saxo vtr on 170k :eek:

As a general rule;

High mileage cars tend to be owned by people who know what they're doing and have been maintained properly.

Low mileage cars tend to be bought and run by people that think 'it's done low mileage, it doesn't need servicing'

Always always always buy on condition rather than mileage.

My 60 plate 200 has only done 7k miles but it certainly hasnt lacked on services every year and oil changes every six months regardless of miles done.

A lot of it comes down to the owner as much as service history. If you can find a genuine owner who has had the car for a few years then thats as important as service history for me.

Clio 172 Cup
My old ph2 was on 120k and was going fine. It had no service history or f**k all when i bought it. I had the belts and dephaser done and that was it.

Was fast too

My current is on 103,000 and had one MOT sheet and a couple of service pages, nothing before 88k (which is when it had a cambelt change)

As long as you have it serviced and all that in your ownership it's all good

ph2 172
I got a 172 paid 2k with 72k ish on the clock, just had a head rebuild and belts done, engine went within 8k of me driving it, just goes to show that a lower mileage even with history might not last, or it could go on for years. Just buy one that drives well, has been looked after by a member on here and the body work is good. Anything can happen or it might not, buy they aren't exactly expensive to fix if (its french so when) something goes wrong.

HenryG

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 cup
At the end of the day a car is a mechanical item and will have a usable life what ever that might be, using it dose create wear. Cars with higher milage have more wear. Properly maintaining it changing worn parts ect is obviously going to keep it running well for longer. If you had the choice between a well maintained car on 30,000 or 90,000 it would be an easy choice. Buying a poorly maintained car on any milage is a silly silly plan! I expect that some people on here really like to spend time under the bonnet so running a high miller which need parts changing is enjoyable and part of the experance but if you are like me its always going to be low miles. Depend what floats your boat and how much money you have! My clio was bought with 25,000 and hasn't put a step out of line I know thats its been looked after as i footed the bills.

Phase 2 clio 172
My ph2 has recently clicked over 112k, I bought it on 105k and the only issue I've had was the timing belt skipping but I'm putting that down to a s**t tensioner/belt that was fitted previously

barely uses any oil either, doubt it's had an easy life too.

Id trust it to get me anywhere