ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

high mileage?

mx5 & 172
Hello,

Barring the obvious belts etc, what are the dangers of buying a high mileage clio? I'm used to japanese cars that go on forever so I have no idea.

for example...
would buying a 54 plate 182 with 99k on it be a really bad idea even if it was quite cheap?

ta :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Didnt put me off, mines past 90k now. Doesnt miss a beat.

Aslong as its well servicedf, just bare in mind it will be a pig to sell in the future!

53 Clio's & counting
mines on 136k and is kicking out over 190bhp on itb's

just check the usual stuff, if its been looked after it will be fine.

is your user name really poopipe? lol

Clio 172 ph2
Hmm, an evo with high miles is abit scary!!

Like all, if its got good service then high miles isn't an issue. Likelyhood of suspension and clutches to be on there last legs is higher though

mx5 & 172
I didn't choose it - blame my parents :D

this is good news - I won't be putting many miles on it myself so by the time it comes to flogging it on the rest of em will probably have caught up.

suspension doesn't scare me, I know how that works. clutches are a bit worrying but a new one can't possibly cost as much as a cambelt change on these things.

mx5 & 172
swapsies?

I have to get a 4 seater now due to expanding family - I figure the clio is the closest thing to the 5 for B road naughtyness I'm going to get with my budget

Stick with the mx5, biggest regret I made selling mine!

Don't say that!! :(
My only fear with mine going is that when i come to buy another mk2 RS Roadster, there won't be any decent ones!! People keep telling me mines too nice to take on track, and it seems everyone wants a mx5 for track...

Poopipe, you actually sold you 5 yet?

suspension doesn't scare me, I know how that works. clutches are a bit worrying but a new one can't possibly cost as much as a cambelt change on these things.

I got a quote for £80 plus parts for a cambelt on a 172 ;) I love knowing people 'in the know' :D

330i. E30 Touring.
I got a quote for £80 plus parts for a cambelt on a 172 ;) I love knowing people 'in the know' :D

Be very, VERY careful who you give it to.

Anyone who's not got the correct cam locking tools and the utmost know-how to do the job will almost certainly c**k it up. Then, you're at best looking at a car down on power, at worst, you're looking at a costly bill to rebuild/replace.

On the subject of high milers, go for it! As long as it's been looked after it'll be fine. Plenty on here are over 100k now, and most owners (including myself) think 1*2's get better as they swallow miles!

Be very, VERY careful who you give it to.

Anyone who's not got the correct cam locking tools and the utmost know-how to do the job will almost certainly c**k it up. Then, you're at best looking at a car down on power, at worst, you're looking at a costly bill to rebuild/replace.

On the subject of high milers, go for it! As long as it's been looked after it'll be fine. Plenty on here are over 100k now, and most owners (including myself) think 1*2's get better as they swallow miles!

Not to worry there, all in order ;) Hopefully the car i buy will already be up together on that though!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Pfftt nae chance. Mine was goosed at 30k. Can't imagine what 90k would be like...

mx5 & 172
My only fear with mine going is that when i come to buy another mk2 RS Roadster, there won't be any decent ones!! People keep telling me mines too nice to take on track, and it seems everyone wants a mx5 for track...

It's not going up for sale till I've got something else to drive round in.

There aren't many mk1 shells left in that kind of condition now so it's a real shame to let it go but since I hardly ever drive on weekends it'd just sit there doing nothing and costing me money if I kept it.

what's this about being goosed at 30k then ?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Pfftt nae chance. Mine was goosed at 30k. Can't imagine what 90k would be like...

can have a look at mine...!

Mixed bag, as some at 90k will be total nails, nae history and shedworthy. Others could be mechanically sound and spot on.
Can be a lottery, will definitely not be as solid as some of the german marques interior wise and wear wise. Can get a bit tired with the crappy melting steering wheel stuff and squeaks and rattles

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
swapsies?

I have to get a 4 seater now due to expanding family - I figure the clio is the closest thing to the 5 for B road naughtyness I'm going to get with my budget

I'd like to, but i'm in the same position as you. I could of held out until July to sell mine, but my 172 came up at a good price and I knew the car well, so couldnt say no. I had a mk1 1600 Eunos that I made a few tweaks to, and it was amazing. The 172 is a great car though and i'm certainly not disapointed. Just miss being so low to the ground, and the noise the exhaust made.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172

I'm the same. I plan to have another in a year or so. But I dont think i'd find one as clean, or as quick as my old one. I fear i'd always be mildly disapointed.....

Fiesta ST-3
Personally it wouldnt bother me if i could get it for the right price. Sod paying over the odds tho. And so long as it was young in age so wouldnt suffer from rust etc i dont see why not!