ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High pitched noise only when accelerating in gear

After my car accident, we repaired it and got it back on the road. Drove it round for a few days and this noise started to occur.

3 days later, the circlip popped off my drive-shaft and required a new one. I hoped this would fix the noise. Got it back from the garage today, and it hasn't - it's still there.

It's not constant. Sometimes it doesn't do it. It's a very high pitched noise, that increases in volume as I accelerate. It only does it in gear.

Garage said gearbox - but I don't want to spend another £400 on replacing that unless I know it's the cause.

It occurred to me that when my friends were repairing the front end damage, we had to remove the gearbox mount below the battery to ensure the chassis was not bent. If the gearbox has not been put back exactly in the correct place could this cause the issue I am having?

Any information would be great. I have searched on here, but it's neither a wind noise, nor a belt noise, as it is only happening when in gear.

On the mount? I believe so.

Is it possible to have the mount/gearbox slightly out of position or is that a hard thing to manage?

Lionel Richie
if its as bad as you describe it then i doubt its a mount, only hen you hammer it or constant speed/