ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High pitched whine when holding @ 4k+ RPM

Hi,

I've noticed a whine from the 172 when i'm holding the revs @ 4k+ any idea what this could be? I'm a bit worried it could be something serious developing.

The oil is ok and the belts were done with tensioners about 15k ago.

The car drives normally, the power is ok and it only happens when holding revs, say 5000rpm in 2nd.

It does it when the car is still too and revving on the spot.

Any ideas chaps?

edit: Just listened to it again and it sounds like VTEC is coming on LOL.. you can't hear it if driving normally but as soon as you let off it's there :(

Last edited:
  RB 182 & Lotus Evora
whine usually means belt/tensioner noise..but the sound quality on that videoa is reaaallly hard to tell....not the pfte gaskets u been testing leaking is it?

Clio 172
hi, i`ve got a slight whine on mine, when the revs are high. same with my cousins. hes whines quite loud. been told its the belt/tensioner that needs changing. quoted a few hundred quid to fix, as the head light & bumper needs to come off to get to it.

Right the noise is still here and it sounds like it's coming from the dogbone area. I thought it was the manifold heat shield but that doesn't wobble or anything... Is there any common things that cause vibrations or noises anywhere? It will only do it 4k+ as said and it makes the car sound crap. Heres another clip;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-H5SYuY2Ho

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
a whine is a whine, a vibration is a vibration. Heatshield/dogbone etc will be vibrations, whines will be pulleys/tensioners/belts/anything that moves or rotates

Well it's a high pitched vibration then. It's coming from the dogbone area but it's hard to tell as I can't rev it and get under at the same time :p

Will need to put it on the ramps I think, but it's only appeard in the last couple of months. Everything seemed tight under the car so I'm a bit stumped.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Barron had a high pich whine/ rattle on his 172 at 4K. and it turned out to be a bolt had come loose in a driveshaft somewhere IIRC, for a sure answer Pm him.